Upwind sailing

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Upwind sailing

Postby david1080_old » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:41 pm

Posted by Derek Lister on 28.08.2004 at 18:47:43

587 is new, did well in first club handicap race, since then not so good. Goes great off the wind, but overtaken by lasers upwind (light to moderate wind).(Assuming snova can point as high as laser then I was not pinching). Rig set up as per new rig setting up on web site. Any advice on sail setting greatly appreciated.

Follow up from: stu 571 - 01.09.2004 - 15:27:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my experience, I can never point as high as a laser or solo, I sail off a bit freer and faster and generally do OK up wind. Off the wind sail as fast as you can, establish a good lead and hold off the others upwind by sailing fast and free. easy to say, much harder to do !!

Follow up from John Moore on 30.08.2004 at 11:06:41

Like Derek Lister 28/8 I also experience problems sailing into wind. I am unable to sail as close to the wind as the Solo's and lasers in the club. I also suspect my boat is slower than the other Supernova in the club going upwind. In light winds I reduce tension on the kicker and cunningham. In stronger winds I keep everything tight and hold for as long as I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[/u]
david1080_old
Site Admin

Return to Tuning