forestay tension

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

forestay tension

Postby martin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:39 am

How much forestay tension are people putting on?

Thanks,

Martin
martin

Tension

Postby tim » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:00 pm

Hi

I do not know the answer but would like to extend the question to cover tension with mast adjustment system

tim
tim

Rig tension

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:23 am

I think this is covered somewhere else in the tunig section, but can't see it right now.

The rig tension varies depending on how the boat has been setup.

I sail with around 160lbs, but a little more in the light stuff.

I have no idea at all how the tension changes when I use the adjuster, guessing from 120 to 200?? Just until it feels right!

Hope this helps

Chris

Forestay Tension

Postby Harry Bartlett_old » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:12 pm

I use an adjustable forestay which I based on two or three versions when it first became popular. Being a bit conservative I have marked my foredeck with four lines which act as a guide to the different settings for the point of sailing and the wind force. (A very general guide). The lowest setting is 120 which is just below the one advised by Mark Giles, Mike Gibson etc, (130) which was for general setting up when the boat was first developed. The 130 setting is my second mark, 150 my second and 160+ for the fourth. The 160+ comes in handy down wind and I have to say, being a slightly heavier sailor (no laughing from the rest of the fleet), I have noticed a significant improvement in my control beating and off the wind since using an adjustable forestay. Lets face it these settings are okay when things are moderate zone. Tensions in very light and very heavy airs tend to be what was set initially and left alone.
Sail No 460
Leics
Harry Bartlett_old

Amendment to Forestay Tension

Postby Harry Bartlett_old » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:25 pm

In my reply I omitted to say that the settings are in lbs NOT kgs. Sorry but I am very old and going senile.
Sail No 460
Leics
Harry Bartlett_old

Return to Tuning