Daggerboard

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Daggerboard

Postby david1080_old » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:35 pm

Posted by tim stevenson on 03.05.2004 at 21:51:8

Hi

thanks for advice so far

I had second sail today. Capsized once and found a little difficulty in getting inboard as there was only the toe strap to grab

The dagger board is very very stiff - it is hard to move up and down - no damage

is this normal

Secondly what is the sequence of taking down sail etc when you land (ie no one to help?)

ps boat is great fun

Follow up from: Alan Birch - 04.05.2004 - 11:24:25
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have had some difficulties raising the dagger board from time to time. Discovered that the problem was probably caused by wear at the aft end of the slot where the gelcoat had become worn away and the "V" had ground to the shape of the board causing excessive friction. I built up the gelcoat slightly to push the board out a little from the "V" and things are much improved. Boat must be level to pull board up or push down or water pressure will prevent movement however.
Re capsize-has anyone advised you to place a piece of elastic around the tiller and fastened to the toestrap fitting to prevent the tiller going beyond the side of the boat, the extension dropping down and making recovery very difficult?
Very helpful piece of kit!
Finally, if you are tall enough, it is possible to push off from the dagger board with your foot to give some impetus to clamber aboard following a capsize. Hope this helps. Alan

Follow up from: stu 571 - 04.05.2004 - 18:56:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
re:lowering sail:
I make sure halyard is free to run, remove boom from goose neck, remove plastic luff slider and lower away, as wind increases this becomes more eventful, whilst hanging on to boat, shroud etc, but it's inevitable that the boom's gonna crash against the aft deck. In lighter winds I put boat on trolly first, but my trolly is gunnel hung which I believe makes this easier (more stable). This is my favoured way, others do it differently, I'm sure you'll arrive at your own method soon.

david1080_old
Site Admin

Return to Tuning