Photos from the recent training session

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Photos from the recent training session

Postby Barry2312_old_old » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:43 pm

I am gradually putting together a set of pictures and explanatory notes from the recent training session at Haversham SC. In particular going over the set up of Richard Pakes's boat, 666. I'll be putting these up on a new page on the website in the not too distant future when I get a chance.

We also have quite a bit of video footage - of varying quality!

Cheers
Barry Winter
SN464
Barry2312_old_old
Site Admin

Postby Paul 486_old » Fri May 02, 2008 10:11 pm

Barry,

Looking forward to seeing it.

Paul
Paul 486_old

Postby Supernovanovice_old » Mon May 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Any news on the photos?
Supernovanovice_old

Postby Barry2312_old_old » Mon May 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Blame the weather! Too nice to be in front of the computer.
Barry2312_old_old
Site Admin

additions to Mods page

Postby Simon 1072_old » Wed May 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Firstly, many thanks for the time taken to post these very useful photos, and to the owners concerned for sharing their ideas with the rest of us. There is some interesting stuff here, and much of it is new to me.

While I don't think that I shall be bothering with the vectran/spectra lowers (too many pasties/pints to worry about potential weight savings at this level!) However, I am very interested in the mast foot "ramp chock".

Could we get some dimensions for the new mast foot chock as shown in one of those photos? Could this be (at least part of ) the answer to the concerns that many have expressed about the very floppy rig when raked well back?
It would be possible to size it off the phots, but firm dimensions would really help, especially at this time of year when nobody wants to take their boat out of service to "fiddle". Have shrould lengths, or anything else been changed at all to go with this?
Simon 1072
Simon 1072_old

Postby david1080_old » Wed May 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Simon

Richard made his ramp out of an old chopping board, he might be able to help with size but i don't think it will be too critical.

I have spoken to Mark Hartley about getting them to supply them for retro fitting, he will let me know. If he can I was hoping he could bring some to Saunderfoot.

David.
david1080_old
Site Admin

Postby Paul 486_old » Wed May 28, 2008 6:05 pm

Barry thanks for the photos - very useful, I noticed that one of the guys at my club with a new Supernova ( :x ) had a mast chock. He's always miles ahead of me so that must be it :D

For the hard of thinking can you please explain the point of the mast chock?

Also can you please advise on how to use mast rake - I think mine as a simple mast rake retrofit that I tend to set before I sail, if it very windy I rake the mast back - from what I've read, raking the mast back on the beats helps with pointing? Can you please clarify.

Regards

Paul
Paul 486_old

Postby Chris1100_old » Wed May 28, 2008 9:35 pm

The supernova sailing technique has changed massively over the last few years. The boats are now being sailed harder than ever with massive rake. This seems to put different stresses on the boat (in particular the king pin under the mast). The wedge seems to change the loading from horizontal back to vertical, allowing the new sailing techniques without damage to the boat.

Raking the mast back will help with pointing, if it is done by dropping the tension off the forestay this will also help make the boat more manageable in the windy stuff.

If you sail on a river then sailing with a 'floppy' low tensioned rig is probably the worst thing you could ever do. Those of us at Severn still use the traditional rig setup. This seems to be good in anything up to a Force3, above that the phantom guys just prove too quick. But then again they may have eaten more pies than I have.

These are just my naieve ramblings, and after all i'm no boat builder (yet!).
Chris1100_old

Return to Tuning