Could I fit large transom drains to my 'Nova?

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Postby Simon 1072_old » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:14 pm

Standing by for some flack here, (maybe?) but here goes! Apologies in advance for the very long post.
Having had to move to Southampton for work reasons, I have now completed my second season sailing on Southampton water & the Solent. I am NOT impressed by the sailing conditions in this area, but then home is beautiful Fowey...and a backdrop of oil refineries & monster container ships is just not the same.
I would like to ask all you 'Nova owners out there to consider the following:

Due to the peculiar conditions of the Solent in general & Southampton water in particular I am finding that the 'Nova is particularly disadvantaged when compared to dinghies with open transoms, eg phantoms & RS vareo at my club. The problem is that the deep water shipping channels that are on the edges of our sailing area, are very busy with large ships & fast ferries, some moving at over 12 knots. When their not inconsiderable wash hits the shallower water, a very large, steep & sometimes breaking wave pattern is produced. There may be 3 very steep waves, with a particularly short wave length - they are very close together. You can miss one, possibly 2 maybe, but never three waves. After two seasons I have to do somethoing as it really is not possible to sail over/around all of them! Even the best of the club in Phantoms cannot seem to miss all three waves. However they do not have to endure sitting in a pool of water in their cockpits as it all drains straight out the back. This is one reason why I left bl**dy L@sers!
More importantly - I reckon that the water may weigh as much as 30/40kg and has a very considerable slowing effect.
There is an awful lot to run out thru a 1/2" drain hole, particularly when it is on the center line & you are invariably heeled to some degree!
So - to my problem.
Could I modify the transom of my boat & fit large drain ducts out thru the stern, rather like Hartleys do for the Osprey? Would I be thrown out of the class?
What about a small "breakwater" rather like a Wayfarer - to try to stop so much water coming aboard in the first place?
My 'Nova oppo at the club has sold & moved on to a new Blaze - must I consider the same? I have maybe 2 other potential converts here, but they are both watching my problem with interest.
I am otherwise very satisfied with my 'Nova; we do not have a similar wash problem in Fowey.
Over to you guys...Open for debate.
Simon 1072
Simon 1072_old

Postby Devil in Disguise_old » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:11 pm

Hi Simon,
Under current rules I would expect modifications of this type would be "out of class"

Perhaps the best way to address your issue would firstly poll the members, and gain further support, probably through this forum though it is not as active as some?

For the record at this point anyone sailing on the east coast has similar problems with the short chop on the wash.

Perhaps then obtain a quote for a professional modification? using drawings?

The Laser EPS also has rectangular tubes.

Then write a letter and submit proposals to the committee?

Who knows? but must be worth a try.

Good luck

Rich 666
Devil in Disguise_old

Postby Simon 1072_old » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:51 pm

Thanks for the advice 666.

I too felt that this might be a "mod too far" and definitely would not go ahead without the reference to the committee & the poll that you suggeest.

It would definitely need to be done proffessionaly - well beyond my DIY capabilities, so could all be accurately recorded etc.
It would of coures mean a weight increase in itself.

Well, better hope that I get some more comment on this post then!
Simon 1072
Simon 1072_old

Postby Barry2312_old_old » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi Simon,

Richard is right - this did come up after some lumpy stuff on the Norfolk coast. I know on the last race of the Nationals this year getting knackered and getting the boat flooded too many times - and you are right it is slow!

I know that the possibility of temporarily sticking some Wayfarer (its a boat) style deflectors on the deck in front of the cockpit to see if it would actually make any difference was discussed - it might be a laugh trying and easier than extra holes in the boat

Not sure what the class rules would say - but if they are truly removable - and they work - it could generate some interesting discussion.

Barry
SN464
Barry2312_old_old
Site Admin

Postby david1080_old » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:10 pm

Simon,

I have spoken to original builder and class technical adviser Mark Gile, about your problem.

Currently it would definitely break class rules if the drain size was increased, not because it would necessarily give an advantage but it would be to costly to retro fit. The rule was introduced so that the association could ban anything that might give unfair advantage or was too expensive!

However a deflector system on the front might not be considered as breaking the rule, particularly if it was removable/temporary. As Chairman I am happy to put forward a case for you to test such a system to the committee, on the basis that it is experimental and can be removed. Also we would not want you to cause any damage to your boat if it was later decided it had to be removed. Personally I would not object to sailing against a boat fitted with a deflector. Also I would not expect such a system to be expensive.

If it is agreed and you were able test the deflectors Mark has suggested the following.

To start make them from plywood with a flat base so the side section is "L" shaped. To test attach the base to the hull with silicon sealant or double sided tape, see if they work and test the angles etc (he recommends quit a sharp deflection). Only drill your deck once full tested, then think about a system were they can easily be removed when not required.

Let me know if you would like to give it a try and I will put it forward. However it is your boat and you can try anything you want, the only problem might come when racing.

David Everett (Association Chairman)
david1080_old
Site Admin

Cockpit drains and/or a breakwater or deflector

Postby Simon 1072_old » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:31 pm

David,
thanks for answering this post - many viewings but much less comment than I was expecting! I would still like to hear from any others with ideas on this.

The "weasel clause" on any potential arms race is understood and accepted, but perhaps a modification of the drains could be done using pipe fittings and hoses, rather than any attempt to glass in drainage pipes/tubes? This would be cheaper and maybe good deal easier too?

A deflector system (what I, as a commercial ship surveyor, would refer to as a break water - sorry for any confusion) must therefore be my best option, for now at least.

I would like to try the deflector modification, hopefully I will get the necessary round-to-it once our frostbite series has finished. Talking to a local boatbuilder pal, I think that I will try to use a white UPVC section, as used in the double glazing/window fitting trades - think I could find the necessary stiif, lightweight offset "L" section, bigger leg to go on the vertical plane. With a bit of shaping it might even not look to bad - should be easier to work/maintain than timber and lighter too?
I would then propose to initially attach this with high modulus silicon sealant whilst experimenting with the "V" angle & fore/aft position. Once optimised and accepted, I might then use a Sikaflex industrial strength sealant/adhesive goop to glue in place - this is strong stuff, no need to drill the foredeck that way. It is possible that the silicon alone could be strong enough , not many of us are supple enough to venture onto the foredeck of a 'Nova whilst at sea - so little risk of kicking it off!
I would expect this to cost very little indeed, certainly less than some of the mods already accepted.

I would greatly apreciate it if you could propose the deflector/breakwater modification for the consideration of the committee.

Does anybody have any guidance opn the fore/aft positioning?
many thanks.
Simon 1072
Simon 1072_old

Postby david1080_old » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:19 am

Simon,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I will talk to the committee and get back to you very soon.

David
david1080_old
Site Admin

Postby alasdair537_old » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:43 am

I sail on the edge of a shipping channel and have not had these problems. Last year in our long distance race at one -third into the ebb tide i was sailing upstream into waves which wre FOUR feet from peak to trough without shipping, though the feeling was hairy!
alasdair537_old

Return to Tuning