Light Wind Techniques and Helms Weight

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Light Wind Techniques and Helms Weight

Postby Simon532_old » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:26 am

We have had recent debates concerning tuning the Supernova in flukey light airs for upwind sailing. To add confusion different sailors have been winning with opposing techniques in very similar conditions. I have had relative success using a fair bit of down-haul and kicker, even though theoretically it seems unusual. Another sailor informed me that he has been playing the kicker, adjusting it every few seconds depending on the fractional change in wind strength. Can anyone shed some light on this confusing subject.

I am also intrested in peoples opinions on the effect of the sailors weight in these conditions. Obviously the lighter you are the better, but i weigh nearly 18 stone and have occasionally been winning with huge leads in very light winds? Suggestions have raised the fact that additional weight may give more momentum in the lulls? Again any comments would be helpfull? :?:
Simon532_old

Postby Barry2312_old_old » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Having been blessed by having something of a fuller figure myself it is a pleasure to find that in a Supernova I also seem to be able to go OK in the light stuff.

Broad reaches (not runs though) are when the pies start counting against me and I lose out.

I'm with you with the flatter rig but I keep off the kicker. As soon as the wind gets up to marginal stuff - like it was at times at Blithfield (a great event by the way) - I find that I am constantly tweaking the kicker (perhaps I ought to concentrate on sailing the boat more!). I also find that the weight helps get the transom out of the water which seems to make quite a bit of difference - especially on the runs.

I am also beginning to think that healing the boat to windward downwind- a la laser - is not a good thing and is in fact slow- the boom just doesn't go out far enough. In fact in the really light stuff I find a slight heal to leeward helps keep the sail shape a little. Flat is most definitely fast in a Supernova.

Being regulalry behind the good guys at the opens I do notice a variety of ways of having the rig set up downwind - all of which seem to go alright.

Barry
SN464
Barry2312_old_old
Site Admin

Return to Tuning