Fully Raking Rig

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Fully Raking Rig

Postby Peter481_old » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:07 pm

I already have a forestay adjuster, but like many nova sailors, the "floppy rig in a blow" thing makes me nervous. Someone has also suggested that it might be linked to the king-post problem.

As well as stability, I think that a true raking system will allow better power management for lightweights like me, as it will allow prebend to be maintained or increased as the rig is raked (increased prebend due to relative shroud position is one of the reasons why boats rake, is it not?).

My questions are:

1) Will this be class legal?
2) Will there be any real benefit over the widely used forestay adjuster system?

Any other opinions

Peter.
Peter481_old

Raking rig

Postby Tony-is now kitesurfing_old » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:46 pm

Hello Peter481

I read with interest your comments on raking rig. I originally raised this issue on my first experiences with the Supernova and I belived it would be a benefit to the boat itself, although never got round to a least trying it. I did approach the association with the matter but they decided probably correctly that it would contravine the "weasel clause" outlined in the measurements section of this forum. What you have to consider is the cost of the mod, I had this system on a scorpion, that was a mod from the original strict one design and typically cost back in 1998ish around £300 pounds. I believe the average Supernova sailor would not convert their boat and you would end up if successful a class within a class situation.

Regards Tony (ex 517).
Tony-is now kitesurfing_old

Postby Peter481_old » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:41 am

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input.

I got a reply about the class situation from Mark Giles. Apparently there was a boat in the nationals with a similar system a couple of years ago. Although it was not outlawed at the time, Mark recalls it was unpopular with the committee at the time.

As you point out, it would be the weasel clause that would get it. However, I think I could fo it for about £150 (half of the bits are needed by adjustable forestays anyway!)

The most relevant point from Mark was that he couldn't see any advantage to this. I guess the floppy rig is better at spilling gusts and powering through waves, and you can get all the bend you need with kicker and cunningham.

I just wonder, as a 10st inland-water sailor, if I might need a stiffer raked rig to be competative???
Peter481_old

Raking rig

Postby Tony-is now kitesurfing_old » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:13 am

Hello Peter

If your problem is sailing the Nova in strong winds then this I believe is the best cure, it worked for me as like you I struggled initially with the heavy stuff, I was 11.5 stone and reasonably fit but I used to get buried.

What I did was firstly add more purchase to the cunningham system, the original for me was inadequate. This also means you have to replace the rope halyard with a flexible wire one with a toothed racked fastened to mast side around the base. Also replace the mast head sheath with one made of aluminium., or similar. The wire will destroy the plastic one instantly, as I found out.

Next I moved the kicker loop further back down the boom to around 600mm from the front end, just under the rubbing strips on either side of the boom I recall. You may need to extend the kicker rope to allow for the extra length needed.
Once you have done this setup the boat onshore and apply the kicker to a point where you think the mast is going to snap/fold (disclaimer: I accept no responsibility for this) then adjust the lower shrouds to stop the mast bending any further than this, mark the rope or point on deck for pulley to give you some idea afloat. It will look more dramatic because you can actually look up the mast onshore and would not have the same view afloat.

With this system you will be able to sail competitively through the wind ranges, it’s all about having maximum flexibility in your rig.

I also sailed with mast rake by knocking down the shroud plates, but don’t go too far because if the wind drops your stuffed.

Regards Tony
Tony-is now kitesurfing_old

Postby Peter481_old » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks for the tips Tony!

I've already done the cunningham / mainsheet mod almost exaclty as you describe, but might improve it further: It still feels a bit "digital" on the water: either on or off. I think I might have a friction issue where my hook blocks sit alongside the boom.

I will look into the kicker range as you suggest. I might even do what laurie smith suggests and measure the prebend with respect to the sail luff profile: this way you know to the millimeter where "flat" really is.

I'm off for a sneaky sail tomorrow, so we'll see how I get on.

With respect to the original rake adjustment idea, I had a rather contraversial thought today I was on a long drive to Manchester to visit some potential customers... A key marketting discriminator of the SN is the stayed rig. If we sail with a floppy rig, are we not throwing all that careful design out of the window in favour of "laser-mode". Surely a true raking system is more in keeping with the original design? HMMM (prepare to be shot down in flames - raise sheilds etc :lol: )

Peter
Peter481_old

Postby Peter481_old » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:33 pm

I went out today in a strong and gusty F4, and was much braver than I have ever been with my forestay adjuster, and what can I say... it really works!!!!

For the first time ever I was planing upwind, and had enough time and energy to look up at the sail and trim it correctly.

Cracked my nut on the boom on the first couple of tacks tho :oops:
Peter481_old

Postby bungle_old » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Peter481 wrote:Hi Tony,

Thanks for the input.

I got a reply about the class situation from Mark Giles. Apparently there was a boat in the nationals with a similar system a couple of years ago. Although it was not outlawed at the time, Mark recalls it was unpopular with the committee at the time.

boat 516 in the for sale section :wink:
bungle_old

Postby Peter481_old » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:55 am

So was that your boat? if so, do yo uthink that the fully raking rig was an advantage???

Peter
Peter481_old

Postby bungle_old » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:02 pm

no its not my boat
bungle_old

Return to Tuning