Mast Rake/Tension

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Mast Rake/Tension

Postby ron/545 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:41 pm

Hi Guys & Gals
I am a new boy to the class, having bought 545 in August'04, I am beginning to spend more time right way up. My previous boat was a GP14, forestay tension was increased as the wind strength increased. If I've read the forum comments correctly the opposite is true for the Supernova :?: Could someone please enlighten me as to the philosophy behind the adjustment.
ron/545

Postby david1080_old » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:26 pm

Hi Ron,

Not sure if I'm in a very good possition to comment, but I have had some success and failures adjusting the the rig tension.

I try to think of it more as a rake adjuster and as a method of de-powering the rig without loosing out ?

Generally on the beat I like to let off some tension to give me more rake, although not too much in light winds. As wind strength increases I let the mast back further. As I get overpowed (which happens more and more these days!) I reduce the tension even further, allowing the rig to twist off in the gusts. I feel the advantage of this is the loss of power is countered by the ability to keep the boat level and additional rake helps pointing. At this point I would also have max kicker and cunningham.

Anyway I'm off to South Cerney on saturday, if I don't do well I'll forget the above blame the settings and it will be back to the drawing board again and again and again...........:evil:
david1080_old
Site Admin

Return to Tuning