Beating

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Beating

Postby david1080_old » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:29 pm

Posted by John Moore on 30.08.2004 at 11:06:41

Like Derek Lister 28/8 I also experience problems sailing into wind. I am unable to sail as close to the wind as the Solo's and lasers in the club. I also suspect my boat is slower than the other Supernova in the club going upwind. In light winds I reduce tension on the kicker and cunningham. In stronger winds I keep everything tight and hold for as long as I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
david1080_old
Site Admin

Beating

Postby david1080_old » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:30 pm

Posted by Tony - 517 on 30.08.2004 at 15:40:6

Dear Derek & John,

I have my boat setup as "supplied" from builder,see how it compares.
The spreader length is set with one empty hole visible between shroud and spreader end.(weight dependant, I'm 76Kgs, longer if heavier but keep the 130mm gap)
Deflection is setup using the front holes on the mast bracket and spreader, best to look for a gap of 130mm approx between back of mast(luff groove) and straight edge placed across the back of the shroud wires with the mast down on the floor and the mast step showing two clear holes in front of bolt.(no weather helm at this)
Rake in light to moderate (upto top end of a force 2)is fifth hole down and lower shrouds just biting when approaching full kicker, so very slack with no or little kicker.
Kicker on my boat has been moved back along the boom. From front of boom to centreline of loop on kicker is 565mm. In my opinion doing this means you have more control of the bottom of the sail especially when looking to depower in increasing winds with a set rake.(I don't mess with forestay at all whilst sailing).
Rig tension is around 150lbs but have sailed with much more.
Sailing in light to moderate wind I sail with mainsheet tension only. Sheet in then apply kicker until it takes the weight off the mainsheet, no more, use this setting for the reaches aswell. Keep a hands width between boom and foot of sail for upwind and don't be tempted to sail too high, once speed is achieved you can then climb a few degrees. All the tell tales should be flowing nicely.
See how you go,

Regards Tony.
david1080_old
Site Admin

Return to Tuning