De-Powering

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

De-Powering

Postby david1080_old » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:19 pm

Being new to the Supernova and indeed single handed sailing, what is the considered opinion on how to de-power whilst going upwind?

Follow up from: Alan Price 543 - 25.01.2004 - 22:10:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Stu. As none of the old hands seem willing to answer your question I'll tell you how I've done this on only a very occasions it's been required. Do'nt know if it's right or wrong but it seemed to work. I was hoping to have seen you at Whitefriars today and this hot tip would only have set you back a mug of tea and a cake.
Lots of downhaul(cunningham) which flattens the top of the sail which is just the place you do'nt want bags of power plus lots of kicker but remember to ease once off wind and play the mainsheet in the puffs.This last bit can be hard work and completely against the grain if you're used to the OK type rig like me. Putting the outhaul on a bit more only seems to flatten all the sail so it must be loosing drive. Not so good in waves.
I'm sure somebody out there could improve on this, anyone? Have fun,Alan.

Follow up from: stu 571 - 26.01.2004 - 15:04:8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Alan, I had tried cunningham, but I guess I must try more, the foot was hauled up quite tight, maybe I'll try tighter. Not being used to such a high boom (ex fireballer!) never quite sure just how much kicker to use, tried more on Saturday in 14 to 16 Knts, and felt happier upwind, maybe I'll rake the mast back a pin? Off the wind I powered up fully and had a fantastic reach from one side of the pond to the other, planing all the way, grinning like an idiot.
Wish I had come to whitfriars as both races at BCYC were postponed due to absolutely no wind.

Follow up from: Alan - 26.01.2004 - 20:33:56

Never had much/any wind either - see Yachts and Yachting site.

Follow up from: David 556 - 27.01.2004 - 20:38:56

Stu,
I would agree with Alan, once overpowerd put on max (plus a bit more!) cunningham and start to reduce the kicker. If the foot is too flat I find the boat harder to control. When I want more power I increase the foot first,so that the effort is lower down the sail.
Also I reduce my rig tension so that the mast can bend off in the gust. It is my understanding that if you increase the tension when a gust hits it just powers up the rig even more.

Not sure if any of this is right, as I'm not too good in strong winds. Anyone else got any views?

Follow up from: stu - 27.01.2004 - 23:07:17

Thanks for that, winds look strong this weekend, but can't sail - damn commitments. Will have to wait for the next batch of stronger stuff to practice in.
More importantly thanks for putting a link to UK Transplant, that's really great, and hugely appreciated. Don't forget all who read this, statistics show you are more likely to need an organ donation than become an organ donor

Follow up from: geoff richards - 09.02.2004 - 20:23:34

remove sail
or
capsize

Follow up from: stu 571 - 10.02.2004 - 17:17:1

thanks for your help.
it's too cold for the second suggestion and the first I find makes performance just a little to flat.

I had of course considered cutting a big hole in the centre of the sail, or cutting the top off the mast, but once again thought these might just take too much edge off performance.

Follow up from: neil boneham - 23.02.2004 - 19:45:33

drop mast rake back 1/2 hole on shroud plates &have rig tension about 80 lb. ease the kicker and use downhaul to open the leach. flatten sail with tight outhaul and have approx 9" dagger board above floor level.Sit your max weight out in the straps and sheet the sail in as far as your weight will counter balance.You will not lose much pointing ability by easing the sail to keep the boat level but you will go faster. If you'r still having touble I shall be at most of the events this year." 566 "

Follow up from: geoff - 23.02.2004 - 20:45:6

i find the best way of depowering the boat up wind is to rase the dagger board buy about 5-6 inches

Follow up from: stu 571 - 23.02.2004 - 23:56:36

fab, thanks
david1080_old
Site Admin

Postby Paul 486_old » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:45 pm

Hi all, I wish I'd read this before going out at the weekend, I was caught out with the force 4 winds at my club (3rd time out in my Nova) and had mucho trouble getting up wind. I think my biggest fault was trying to sheet in the main as far as poss but I just ended up turning to windward and getting stuck in the irons :oops: I need to sail a bit freer methinks plus try out some of these tips. What's the best (and least embarrasing) way to get out the irons, had quite time with it. Still once on a reach and a run it was fantastic!

Paul
Paul 486_old

prune

Postby Alan Price543 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:59 pm

It's dead easy to stuff a Supernova into wind on a windy day. Probably the only nasty little vice the boat has.
Rake the mast back an extra hole on breezy days. I've even had mine back two holes( that leaves just one vacant hole left at the bottom of the plate) on one very gusty day. It really helped the handling but as I was sailing against Flying 15s, I cannot comment on the performance side of this. Certainly felt better.
When I've stuffed it into irons, I've pushed the boom forward to put the boat into reverse. The rudder now operates opposite to normal but it is possible to turn the bows one way or the other. As soon as this happens let go of the boom,sheet in quickly and correct the rudder as it returns to normal mode. Practise it in lighter winds - it's good fun sailing backwards for a change!
Have fun,
Alan
Alan Price543

Postby bungle_old » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:48 am

another way to get rake with out moving the sail area backwards is to move the bottom of the mast fowards

this should still keep the balance of the boat and give a little more rake :lol:
bungle_old

Return to Tuning