Very Light Wind Sailing

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Very Light Wind Sailing

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:58 pm

I wondered if anyone could offer any tips for sailing the Snova in very light winds. Sailing today was hard work and I tried to get forward as far as I can which is a bit awkward with the Snova's layout when you're 6ft, so apart from loosing a couple of stone I'd be happy to hear from you how I could improve light wind sailing.

Regards Paul 486

Postby Tony-is now kitesurfing_old » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:44 pm

Hello Paul
I,m afraid sailing any class in very light winds tends to be a challenging task. The way I approached it and seemed to do okay(probably better in light winds than strong winds) was to KEEP YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE BOAT. Be on the look out for wind pattern trends on the water and head for them. Sometimes you feel like your going out of the way but can pay big dividends.
There are some posts on the tuning section on boat setup that I used when I sailed S,Novas, may take a little time looking but worthwile.

Briefly on setup:

Small amount of kicker, this will bend mast slightly and flatten the entry of the sail into the "wind" if this creates luff creases don't worry apply a little cunningham to remove the creases.
Adjusting the spreaders further back will also have some effect, how much not sure as we don't sail with much tension.
Keep the foot with about 4" of distance between boom.
I used to sit as far forward as possible (horse limits this) with a little leward heel so sail would set naturally (old laser habit).
As for rig tension I never really over did it.
Watch the tell tales if lifting and try to keep them active.
And most of all don't lose your head, can be hard to do in practise but stay focused!

Boat speed in light airs is all about keeping the boat moving.

Happy drifting, Tony
Tony-is now kitesurfing_old

Postby Paul 486_old » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:38 pm

Tony,

thanks again for your comments, nothing more disheartening than you drifting gently off out into the English Channel whilst 50m away other boats seem to be making some headway.

I did try to get as far forward as poss and lean the boat to leeward which I found helped a lot in my old boat, but as you say the horse gets in the way of getting right forward in the Snova.

One thing I didn't mention, and I wonder if it has a bearing is sail age. My sail is original I think and so now must be 6 years old, so does the sail age and condition have a noticable impact on light wind performance? My plan is to probably sail the Snova as it is for this year with a view to a new sail next year.

Regards

Paul 486
Paul 486_old

Postby Tony-is now kitesurfing_old » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:10 pm

Hello Paul
Perhaps wind searching should be done carefully for you, my comments are based on me being a 'Pondy' sailor, worse can happen is that you hit the bank!
I can't really comment on the new sail thought, personally I only ever sailed with the 'original' cloth (semi opaque) sail.
I did however hear comments from new sail buyers that the cloth was heavier and maybe a little stiffer in comparison. There was also comments of the sail being 'fuller' on the luff, not sure how true this is as they should be cut the same???
The age of the sail will if used regularly over this period have changed shape and I guess the part that is punished the most is the luff due to cunningham abuse. I can only guess that a new sail will help tremendously if not boost confidence as a new sail does.
If you purchase a new one lay the old one on the lawn say and lay the new one on top. With the help of others lift the head, tack and the outhaul and pull taught. Inspect the old sail underneath and see where they touch or seperate, this will compare the overhaul shape and show where there is more or less cloth.
Hang in there and lets hope you don't get many drifters.
Cheers Tony.
Tony-is now kitesurfing_old

Postby alasdair537_old » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Oh how i sympathise with paul. I sail on the sea too and last week's sunday morning race training was a disaster. It is led by a former Contender world champion. he told me to get forward of the mast-impossible-and emphasised the importance of watching the burgee on top of the mast. even though i have taken the bridle off it was a near impossible task and i am 6'5. i could keepo up with the toppers but not any form of Lase. i was all set to give up when the wind filled!

In the asfernoon it went to 16mph for a good stern chase--oh happy days.
alasdair537_old

Postby Paul 486_old » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:20 pm

I did climb into the gap between the bridle and the mast - very uncomfortable jammed in there whilst trying to keep an eye on the telltales! Tomorrow looking like light winds again. :?

Paul 486
Paul 486_old

Return to Tuning