Is forestay shackle a DIY or replacement job?

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Is forestay shackle a DIY or replacement job?

Postby DuncLlew » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Hello
Storm Bella has caused some mayhem in our dinghy park and my mast came down breaking the forestay shackle (I think that's what it's called - picture attached). It's obviously a high stress area, so do I buy a new one from Hartleys or simply replace the shackle? I couldn't see one on the Hartley's website. I have whipping twine, but the join looks more thorough than that.
And there's also a small bit of damage to the gel coat - Hartleys have Teroson Gel Coat Filler on their website - is that the right stuff and colour? I've put tape over it to keep moisture out. Thanks.
Duncan
SN1111
Attachments
Broken shackle SN1111.JPG
Broken shackle
Broken shackle SN1111.JPG (142.66 KiB) Viewed 8432 times
Gel coat SN1111.JPG
Gel coat
Gel coat SN1111.JPG (33.26 KiB) Viewed 8432 times
DuncLlew

Re: Is forestay shackle a DIY or replacement job?

Postby Pete1177 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:41 pm

Hi Duncan

Sorry to see the damage - I haven't checked my boat for a few months - hope it's ok.

I think the block is a standard Allen part. If you are particularly concerned about strength you could use a 'wire block' (block for wire). Check the breaking strength before you order. I have made cascade kicker assemblies with wire blocks at mast and boom ends where the loading is highest.

I don't know about the gelcoat repair stuff. Check out Pete Vincent on Youtube (West Country Boat Repairs) based at Lydney Glos. - or call him. He is very helpful.

Best regards

Pete
Pete1177

Re: Is forestay shackle a DIY or replacement job?

Postby iainbarlow » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:18 pm

Hi Duncan,

Regarding the gelcoat I'd recommend giving Hartley's a call, they'll have a record of the colour that was used and be able to supply a match. Most hulls are an off white colour as standard but worth checking as my old boat was brilliant white. It's worth noting that its rarely a perfect match due to the batch making process and the colour fading that occurs due to weathering/age.

When you come round to repairing make sure that the weather is warm enough. I can't remember the exact temperature that is required but I always work off 10C+ and in the garage/club hanger if you're able - as Pete mentioned there's loads of useful hints & tips on Youtube.

Regards,
Iain
Class Chairman
SN1275
iainbarlow

Return to Tuning