Off boom sheeting

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Off boom sheeting

Postby Kevin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:43 pm

I’d like to try rigging my Supernova with off boom sheeting.
Is there a simple guide how to do this, with line measurements, additional blocks needed, photos / diagrams etc.
There isn’t another Nova at my club set up like this, I’m ok with dynema splicing, but need some help.
I would also like to retain my existing set up so if it all goes horribly wrong I can return to ‘factory setting’.

Thanks
Kevin
Kevin

Re: Off boom sheeting

Postby kts » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi Kevin,
Am very much a novice at this dinghy stuff but this alteration quite simple. You could take a look at page 7 of Pete Bingham's Guide for one version. The boat I purchased had a ratchet block and jammer on the floor which was a nightmare. I have removed them and taken one block off the boom and use that instead attached via about 6 ins dyneema (someone more experienced may correct me on that measurement so make it adjustable) to where the original jammer was near the toe strap. No alterations to the bridle required. The block from the boom is replaced with an autoratchet block (about £50). If you ring Hartleys they will give you the stock number. Good luck.
kts

Postby Pete1177 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:39 am

Hi Kevin,

I will send you some instructions on how to do this via email. I never did get round to posting some full instructions but I can tell you how it's done if you are OK with splicing.

Karen suggests a simple way of doing it with a block attached to the floor via a length of Dyneema, leaving the existing bridle 'as-is'. This is exactly the arrangement I tried initially, but found that the mainsheet block tended to fall in a heap on the floor and get twisted/tangled up. This is why I went to mounting the mainsheet block coupled to the bridle so it keeps the cockpit floor clear.

Incidentally, I have had terrible problems more recently with the mainsheet tangling up around my ankles. I used Marlow Excel Fusion which is a great mainsheet but after a season of use it goes 'furry' which sticks to boot velcro, and also has a tendency to twist and tangle. So,I am now trying Rooster Polilite which is claimed to have an anti-twist outer braid. Initial experience is that it seems to meet the claim.

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby Kevin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks Karen and Pete,
It’s a nice little project to keep me busy during the closed (sea sailing) season. I tend to grab the sheet from the boom when sailing off wind, so makes sense to try out the new arrangement.

Thanks
Kevin
Kevin

Postby HaftonAl » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:57 am

Noting the thread, and having struggled with my mainsheet jamming cleat and (and finally) accepted that this doesn't work for me, I'd like to remove the jam cleat. The options would appear to be either re-fix the ratchet block on its mount without the jam cleat or adopt the off-boom arrangement as mentioned in the thread.

I'd like to avoid drilling any new holes in the mount - does anyone know of a plate that exactly matches the four hole round Allen baseplate?

Failing that (or instead), some guidance on either the design of the off-boom sheeting arrangement, such as dimensions of components would be useful. I am happy to work with splicing Dyneema.

Thanks

Alastair
HaftonAl

Return to Tuning