Bronze fleet

Event plugs and news.

Bronze fleet

Postby Tom1134 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:45 pm

As you may know I am doing some research with other classes into how they organise a bronze fleet at championships. I have had responses from Solos,GPs and Ents so far. Some systems are simple but crude whilst the more subtle ones will be more complex to manage or even understand!

If anyone has any ideas or experience please let me know here. The final method used will be up to the committee and will be a trial when we first implement it.

The aim is to encourage new people to enter championship events by giving them something achievable to aim at.

Tom 1134
Tom1134

Re: Bronze fleet

Postby JW » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:47 pm

I recall a number of people making the case for a bronze fleet. Strange now that there is an opportunity to influence how that could work, that no one has responded to Tom’s post?
JW

Postby KeithJohnson196 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:45 am

Why not something like..

Gold fleet - if you've won an open in the previous year and done enough qualifying opens (maybe three).
Silver fleet - Everyone else who has done enough qualifying opens.
Bronze fleet - if you're in your first year of the class assoc competition or done less than the required number of qualifying opens in the current/previous year.

The thought/threat of dropping back into the bronze fleet may have the added bonus of encouraging sailors to do more opens. A little more controversial.. It will also stop ringers/trophy hunters turning up in borrowed boats and taking the gold/silver trophy from people who actually support the class throughout the year.
KeithJohnson196

Postby Tom1134 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Thanks for the response! The principle of experience and number of events attended is one that no other class seems to have considered. I am about to put a summary of my research forward for consideration by the committee. The aim will be to have something in place to trial next year.

Any more ideas out there?

Tom 1134
Tom1134

Postby Merlin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 am

It’s probably a bit late, but I have not viewed the forum recently.

I think anything that can be an incentive to come and do the Nationals is brilliant. It is the best environment to learn in as there are so many entries.

I suggest that on the Nationals entry form there is a declaration that has to be signed, along the lines of ;
Have you ever finished in the top 5 of National Championship in any class of dinghy or, in the last 10 years competed in a National Championships, or open meeting and finished in the top (eg)50%

The percentage can be whatever is thought to be appropriate, but may help in ruling out a few ringers from the bronze fleet.

Using a qualifying system based on attendance at opens is good, but someone like me who does very few opens (non last year, because of logistics). I could, like any other ringer, end up in the bronze fleet. Yet I finished in the top 20 at the last Nationals.

Being honest I would complete the declaration and would be ruled out of Bronze.

Sorry it’s so late!

Steve
Merlin

Postby Tom1134 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:25 am

Hi Steve
Not too late as I havent got around to compiling the results of my research yet.

Your method is very similar to what I was thinking, some form of self declaration followed by a review by the committee.

Thanks for the input. Obviously the aim is to encourage new people to come to the championship events and whatever system we adopt can be tweeked a time goes on.

Tom 1134
Tom1134

Return to Events