Mk 2 toe-strap options

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Mk 2 toe-strap options

Postby chris.cole_old » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm

I am new to the Supernova having moved out of a Laser late last year. I now own 1002 and it is set up just as I bought it off Hartleys (great boat by the way!). I would like to know about any modifications other MK 2 owners have made to their toe-strap, because coming from a Laser, I find the strap to be very close to the hull floor at the front end making it less easy to hike straight out after tack/gybes when compared to the Laser. Yet, at the transom end the strap is high. Any comments are welcomed and pictures of modifications would be great! I do plan to sail at the Bolton SC open in April so will have chance to look at other Mk 2's there. Thanks from a new owner and forum user! Chris Cole, Coniston SC.
chris.cole_old

Postby CliffMilliner_old » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:46 am

Hi,

I found exactly the same problem on my MK1. Nothing worse than missing the toe straps!

I have put a bit of elastic from the two strop fairleads under the front of the toe strap to keep it up. Only problem is you need to attach the elastic to the toe strap some how or it doesn't work as it moves to the wrong place(can 't really explain why, try it out and you will see)

To keep it in place I made 2 small holes in the toe strap with a red hot needle, then used 1mm rope to secure the elastic in place.

Cliff
CliffMilliner_old

Postby Roger617_old » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 am

Chris,
I had the same problem and had the same advice from Cliff. It is a big improvement. :D
Perhaps it still isn't as easy as in the Laser, but it is better. (It must be the only aspect of the Laser that is better!) 8)

Roger
Roger617_old

Postby Andy 1041_old » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Chris

I think you may have one of the prototype hulls of the Mk2 and if I remember right one of the tweeks that was done for the production hulls was to raise the pod on which the mainsheet ratchet sits (and to which the toe straps attach) by and inch or so. I think this was done for exactly the problem you seem to be suffering. I therefore suspect that other Mk2s do not suffer the same problem - I have not had a problem but then with my bulk I am not an aggresive hiker.

Sorry I have no solution but it might help explain the problem.

Andy 1012
Andy 1041_old

Postby chris.cole_old » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Hello All - thanks for you replies, a great help. I went to Hartley's today and got the latest MK2 toe-strap which is quite different to my boat 1002 - this with the bungee elastic at the front end should make a big difference. Thanks again, Chris[/list]
chris.cole_old

Return to Tuning