Cunningham

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Cunningham

Postby Michael.A » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:30 pm

Hi all,just picked up new nova 1329 from Hartley’s yesterday,first sail today.Quite gusty 15-20 mph I feel the standard cunningham purchase is insufficient do you generally upgrade this for more purchase ? Are there any pictures of alternative systems.
Thanks Michael.
Michael.A

Re: Cunningham

Postby SolidAir » Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:38 am

Yes, when I got mine it had 4:1 purchase which I didn't think was enough. I've now upgraded. The two most common ways to set it up are:

1) Replace the single floating block with a double, and add an additional single block on to one of the eyes near the foot of the mast. This method works well for me. However, it does require splicing in a new, longer control line.

2) The second method leaves the control line as it is. It's hard to explain. First, remove the bobble from the floating block on the control line. Then take a piece of dyneema and splice it to one of the eyes near the mast foot. Then run it through a single block. Then add a bobble to that block. Then splice the free end of the dyneema on to the floating block on the control line. The short line that goes from the gooseneck through the sail eye and down then attaches (with the loop) to the new block on the dyneema. The key here is to get the lengths right! It must have enough travel to allow a loose cunningham and also max tension without running out of rope. Some experimentation may be required!

I believe both of these systems are 8:1, which seems plenty. Both add a bit of friction. In theory, option 1 has slightly more friction than option 2, but it's pretty marginal. If it's any help, which I doubt, when I last looked, Cliff M uses option 1 and Gav Y uses option 2, so take your pick!
SolidAir

Postby Michael.A » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info.I have replaced with a double block but yet to try it on the water,it feels like I am running out of travel for the block and maybe too tight when off.
Michael.A

Postby Kevin » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:13 pm

Interesting discussion.
The more purchase you have, the more string needs pulling and tidying up in the bottom of the boat.
If you go for option 2, getting the set-up right is crucial. Introducing the extra loop means the control line you pull tightens the luff half as much as it would a 4:1 system although it’ll be easier (minus the extra friction).
I haven’t quite got my head around option 1 but this seems the logical solution (can you post a diagram please). I already have a double floating block attached to the bobble. One loop feeds into a block at the base of the mast, and the other loop is directed port / starboard to the side deck cleats.

Kevin
Kevin

Postby Kevin » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:27 pm

Image from 1226, standard Cunningham configuration as purchased from Hartley’s
Attachments
82CFBE8C-8F9D-4255-80A7-F17B1AAC6B6C.jpeg
82CFBE8C-8F9D-4255-80A7-F17B1AAC6B6C.jpeg (151.8 KiB) Viewed 16601 times
Kevin

Postby SolidAir » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:18 pm

Ok, this looks like option 1, as far as I can see (which is what I use).

What I can't quite see is where the little line from the floating block goes. On mine (see photo), the line attaches to the gooseneck, up through the eye in the sail and then down to loop on to the bobble on the floating block. If so, then I think that's 8:1, and I'm not sure it's worth going to 16:1. The extra purchase would leave a lot of rope lying around in the boat and would require an armful to pull it in.

Another thought is to use a thicker control line. Marlow Excel Control 5mm is easier to pull than 4mm. You can see the difference in the photo below - 4mm on the cunningham and outhaul, but 5mm on the kicker (the orange one) because 5mm is easier to pull.

If you're at Burton or Grafham, I can show you.

pic.jpg
pic.jpg (235.86 KiB) Viewed 16567 times
SolidAir

Postby Kevin » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:49 am

Yep, mine is the same, the line from the floating block attaches to the gooseneck via the eye in the sail. Something to consider is replacing the double floating block with a triple (approx £50 from Allen), and moving the double block to the deck by the mast. You get the extra purchase with a little extra friction but you also have the extra string to pull.
You’d also need to splice a longer Cunningham.
Definitely think about replacing the kicker with 5mm. Jobs for the off-season I think, I’m not one for over complicating the boat if the standard fit-out works ok.

Regards
Kevin
Kevin

Return to Tuning