small sail

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

small sail

Postby jonti » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:19 pm

can I cut down one of my old sails to make a smaller sail?
jonti

Re: small sail

Postby Pete1177 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi Jonti,

Yes you can do this for your personal use (recreational sailing) or for club events (if your club permits). You cannot use any modified sail on Association events which includes Championship events and Opens. The Class Rules are very specific on this (see section 6.7.8 specifically). The full class rules are in the technical section as a PDF.

Permitted alteration: For Championship events the Committee may approve the use of a modified Full sail cut down to a broadly similar specification to the then
in force official Small sail (+/- 20mm on the leech and the foot compared to an official small sail). This power is exercised at the sole discretion of the Committee
including what is deemed to be a similar specification of Small sail. This Rule requires the competitor to seek approval of the Committee prior to the event
and to present the sail for measurement as part of the registration at the event where it is to be used prior to taking part in any racing.

Note – to amend a Full sail to match the official Small sail plan requires amendment of both the foot and the leech. A cut down sail which only amends
the foot of the sail will not be approved by the Committee for use at Championship events.

Hope that clarifies,

Pete
Class Secretary
SN1177
Pete1177

Re: small sail

Postby James » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:14 am

Hi Jonti

I've got a small sail that you can use as a template. Let me know when you are at Hykeham next and I will bring it along.

James
James

Return to Tuning