Sail Re-tuning Kits - Update

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Re: Re-tuning Jeckells Sails on the Supernova

Postby DOM511 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:46 pm

I would be very interested in a kit, if you are still thinking about developing one Pete. I think both of my sails have this issue and I will measure them to see by how much. I think most of the boats at Winsford have this issue!
DOM511

Postby Trotty » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:48 pm

Hi Pete, I would also be interested in a sail service kit if it becomes available. I measured my ‘best’ sail and found it 120mm short at the luff, so I attempted a quick temporary fix by splicing an extra piece of similar diameter rope on to the end. The fun part was tensioning the sail to get the rope back into the sleeve. Under tension my luff was stretching an extra 80mm without the bolt rope attached. In today’s light wind race I still had wrinkles in the luff as I flattened the sail with the outhaul. My sail never has the same smooth lines as the club Solos which I assume is partly why I struggle to catch them in a pursuit race. Looking forward to your guide, or failing that, a favourable result with the impending tax return so I can buy a new sail. Happy New Year to you all.
Trotty

Postby Pete1177 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi Dave,

I would spend your tax return money on something else not a brand new sail (unless you really have to).

I now have all the components for the service kits and will post a separate thread on the kits. I will supply kits for 1, 2 or 3 sails to be repaired DIY so you can choose which kit you want. These kits will allow you to replace the complete bolt rope and re-tension the luff to help improve upwind speed. Kit prices will be between £16.50 to £23.50 per sail (the cheaper option is for a 3 sail kit where the cost per sail is lower).

I would say that 90% of boats are sailing with de-tuned sails (just my guess though) and I have enough parts to do 40 sails.

Best regards

Pete Bingham
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby Trotty » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:32 pm

Hi Pete, I won't be rushing out to buy a new sail just yet as I ended up paying the tax man £100. Interestingly I emailed Jeckells about a sail and I got a reply back from Mark Woodford with a quote of £809 inc sail numbers, battens, Logo, bag and VAT. In the meantime I would be interested in getting 2 of your kits. Is it possible to collect from you as you are only up the road?

Cheers

Dave
Trotty

Postby Pete1177 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:44 pm

Hi Dave,

Interesting as I asked Jeckells (Jimmy Mortimer) the same question a couple of months ago and got a response that sails are only available through Hartleys - they don't sell direct. "I cant sell the Supernova sails to you sorry as we only sell them to Hartley Boats".

I will be offering sail tuning kits for 1, 2, 3 sails with a maximum of 40 sails - That's limited by the materials I have in the first batch.

Just trying to find time to put together a short promotional video on the kits - hopefully will get the link out in the next couple of weeks.

TBH the postage is only a small part of the cost but you could pick up a kit from me at the Winter Champs at Bowmoor (Feb 19th).

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby Trotty » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:00 pm

Hi Pete,
Maybe Mark Woodford isn't aware of the rules! It looks like I will have to treat myself as both of my sails have tape repairs to the fabric.
I hope to be at Bowmoor, where are the sign up details? I couldn't find anything on our website nor on the Bowmoor website. Cheers Dave
Trotty

Postby Pete1177 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:36 am

The Notice of Race for the Winter Championships are not yet published - we try and do this 4 weeks before the event. We're working on the details such as Race Officer, safety crew and catering. As soon as we sort this, we'll publish the NOR.

Fabric repairs (sail tape?) aren't too much of a problem unless you have a lot of damage along the luff tape (especially at the foot). It's quite usual on older sails to see some fabric tape where the sail touches the shrouds, as this is the point which has the most wear.

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby Trotty » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:40 pm

Thanks Pete, I'll look out for the NOR.
Trotty

Postby jrb » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:55 pm

Pete
I would be very interested in the sail repair kit please, although also happy to wait until second batch should they prove very popular - which it looks like they will be!
Thank you for all your time and effort on this
Jim B
SN 1097
jrb

Postby John348 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:53 pm

Is this still available? Thanks
John348

Postby Pete1177 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi John,
Yes I have all the components but need to find some time to write the instructions. I have enough parts for 40 sails.
As soon as I'm able to take payment I'll advise everyone on this thread.
Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby John348 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:33 pm

Thanks a lot. I am sure mine will need fixing.
John348

Postby Houghy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:46 pm

Hi Pete

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I think my old MK1 sail (Giles boat, Jeckells about five years old?) may require some fettling as I can never crank on any significant cunningham. Did you create any kits to do the job, or do you have instructions? And is this relevant to the MK1?
Houghy

Postby Pete1177 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:22 pm

Sorry for late reply.

Yes the kits are available - just finishing off a short promo video - I'll post the link shortly as well as details of how you can buy a kit.

The kits will work on Jeckells, Hyde and Banks sails and with Mark 1 and 2 boats (the sails are interchangeable).

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby Houghy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:15 am

Just some extra anecdotal information. My sail is the older Jeckells, lives on a MK1 (431) and I'm new to the class coming from a Comet. I found that I could use virtually no cunningham, struggled to control power in anything over 12 knots, and the sail was wrinkly at the luff. Raising the sail was a workout in itself.

I didn't do things scientifically, just stretched the sail and unpicked the bolt rope stitching. It shot up 240 mm quite a bit, so I stuffed in some more rope and stitched it to the old rope and restitched the bottom section, leaving a tail for future tuning.

The difference has been dramatic and I've gone from capsize practice, to a half decent effort yesterday, in 14 to 20 knot gusts. The boat was more controllable on every point of sail, and I can crank on cunningham which dramatically improves things. I also ran a candle up the luff track, so raising the sail is very, very easy now.
Houghy

PreviousNext

Return to Tuning