Sail Re-tuning Kits - Update

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Sail Tuning Kits Launched

Postby Pete1177 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:03 pm

Hi all,

The Sail tuning kits are now available at £25 for 1 sail, £35 for 2 sails and £45 for 3 sails (includes P&P).

These will upgrade your old sails to extend their life and give better boat control in gusts (less capsizing) and faster upwind speed and pointing. The kits will work on Jeckells, Hyde and Banks sails and with Mark 1 and 2 boats (the sails are interchangeable).

I've produced a video explaining what's in the kits - see this link ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-0CobmQy6SSp6CkAmHk5WHqjcbIT2sfs/view?usp=sharing

Please contact via email me if you want to purchase a kit - use the PM facility on the right.

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Re: Sail Re-tuning Kits Now Available

Postby craigderby » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:20 pm

For anyone thinking of getting a kit here's a bit of feedback.

On my Mk1 one I had an ageing Jeckells sail with a bolt rope which had turned out to have shrunken by nearly a foot. It was looking like a new sail was going to be the answer, but with how much they now cost it's difficult to justify it on a Mk1, so I thought I'd give Pete's kit a try.

It turned up with all the bits, and a decent set of instructions. It was really easy to fit, and took no time at all.

The boat now sails much better, and I reckon it'll give me a couple more years from the sail before I finally have to bite the bullet.

Well worth the money!
craigderby

Re: Sail Re-tuning Kits - Update

Postby Pete1177 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:01 am

It's good to have some feedback on how these repair/tuning kits have got more life out of an old sail, especially since the effort I've put in to research and develop these kits. Craig purchased his kit in December 2022 and is clearly getting good use of it.

To be honest I thought there would have been more uptake on these, especially since the price of new sails is close to £1000, which is a big outlay for the average club sailor. Actually the sail is £995.95 - Hartley's doing what I hate most ... pricing at a few pennies below the pound mark as if it makes any difference to anyone.

Also the cost of the kit is intentionally pitched low (around £25). However, I haven't done any real marketing of these kits which may explain why there aren't more Supernova sailors wanting to buy these. I think I may do more on social media to publicise, but I have made the decision 'when they're gone, they're gone'.

It will be the same with the improved goosenecks (which HAVE been a great success which is due to word of mouth more than anything, and it's a great upgrade product).

I haven't got the time or inclination to do any more, so if you want any of the above, you'll have to act soon.

Pete
SN 1177

Link to the Sail Kit video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-0CobmQy6SSp6CkAmHk5WHqjcbIT2sfs/view?usp=sharing but I'm not Class Secretary any more.
Pete1177

Previous

Return to Tuning