Superspars Sail Feeder

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Superspars Sail Feeder

Postby Pete1177 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:42 am

I found another weak point on the fittings yesterday. The sail feeder on my luff track has cracked on one side with a very sharp edge likely to cut into the sailcloth every time I hoist the sail. Conveniently failed about 10 days before the Nationals - at least I have time to order another to fix it. Fixing will be a pain as it is riveted in a very tight space so I'll probably have to use a self-tapping screw.

Sail Feeder.jpg
Superspars Mast Sail Feeder
Sail Feeder.jpg (3.79 KiB) Viewed 6127 times

For a long time now I thought that this is a very poor design by Superspars. It's not the first time it has fractured (through going brittle) as I've had it go on previous boats. Sometimes the sail is very difficult to pass through it - the leading edge needs to be flared out for a tapered entry into the mast slot. It would help to lubricate with silicone lubricant on a fairly regular basis (which I hadn't thought about doing).

I have thought about designing my own and getting it manufactured in Delrin (ASA) which would be the best material as it's low friction and self-lubricating. The upfront cost would be quite expensive to produce (the current plastic part is only £3) and without a ready volume market (say via Hartley's) I can't justify doing it. The SG5 replacement gooseneck pin has proven very successful - so far 65 have been sold, but I am getting low on components and the supply is running out. I won't manufacture any more of the Delrin toggles as a minimum order quantity is 100 parts - I would need to invest close to £1000 just to get this part made - not going to happen unless Hartleys agree to fit to new boats and offer it as a replacement part to a wider market (not just Class Members).

Anyway, I've ordered 2 of the standard feeder so if anyone wants my spare one at the Nationals then you can have it for the price of a beer.

Pete
Class Secretary
SN1177
Pete1177

Re: Superspars Sail Feeder

Postby Pete1177 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:40 pm

This was very easy to repair as the fixing rivet is aluminium. Drill out the old rivet face with a 6mm drill bit, taking care not to drill into the mast, punch the rivet stub into the mast with a centre punch to leave you with a clean hole, then install the new fitting with a suitable aluminium rivet (3.5mm I think).

The only tricky part is to drill the new fitting in exactly the same place so you can rivet into the existing hole. Use the old fitting as a template.

Luckily my Stanley hand riveter had a suitable long reach rivet head so that I could get into the fitting.

Finally lubricate the luff tube with silicone lubricant to help the sail luff slide.

Pete
Class Secretary
SN1177
Pete1177

Return to Tuning