Any reason why boom is lower than previous Supernova

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Any reason why boom is lower than previous Supernova

Postby DuncLlew » Fri May 29, 2020 1:30 pm

Hello
The boom on my latest Supernova (SN1111) seems a little bit lower than my previous one - do some people have the mast at a different angle, say by having wedges? Or am I imagining it? Thanks.
Duncan
DuncLlew

Re: Any reason why boom is lower than previous Supernova

Postby JW » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi Duncan, the quick answer is yes, people do rake their masts to a greater or lesser degree. Have a look back through the threads on mast rake and, if your a member of the Class Association, check out the tuning guide put together by Pete Bingham.

+
JW

Postby GavinYoung68 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Hi Duncan,
Yes mast rake is adjustable via the forestay which sets the tension, different tension gives different boom height, also the shroud plate pin positions, the closer the pin towards the deck the lower the boom will be as the mast is raked further back.

To see what you have as suggested above you need to use a long tape measure attached to your halyard and measure the distance from the top of the mast to the top of the upper rudder fitting. You need to make this measurement when you have the rig tension on as if you where going sailing but without the sail up. Everyone has there own preference but measurements are normally between 6000mm and 6100mm, light people have more rake as a general rule but its personal choice and your own sailing style in the end. The measurement is not so important, what's important is are your pointing with speed without to much weather helm, that's what your trying to achieve.
GavinYoung68

Postby jgerwat » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:51 pm

Or you could just buy one of Gavin's boats?
It will be set up perfectly!
jgerwat

Postby GavinYoung68 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:09 pm

Thank you....1192 now sold to Sam Knight so we are all in trouble now....so I am keeping the new one 1261.

Happy sailing
GavinYoung68

Return to Tuning