Control line fairleads - Tip bit 7

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Control line fairleads - Tip bit 7

Postby simon1228 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Planning a few jobs to help pass the virus lay-by time.....no sailing here in mid Cornwall.

I've had problems with my cleat faileads releasing ropes in the past. Think I posted here about the issue?
Gav's tip bit 7 would seem to be appropriate. Thanks Gav!

Before i tool up/plan can anyone tell me...
If the cleats must be taken off the boat to allow me to bend the fairlead wires? I have some HD long nose pliers, and long nose mole grips too. Or, can they be bent in place?
If the cleats must come off, how are the cleats attached to newish boats?
Screws (perhaps into cptive wood bedplates?
...Or thru bolts with nuts inside the tanks? Don't fancy doing this 16 times, and i will definitely need to ensure a supply of replacement nuts/washers handy-by!

I seem to recall that the cleats were attached with wood screws, when i modified one of my previous boats?
simon1228

Re: Control line fairleads - Tip bit 7

Postby nhalstead » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:49 am

Hey Simon - take a short trip up the A30! There's not many of us but we're still active at Roadford Lake.

Norman
nhalstead

Postby simon1228 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 am

Thanks for the invite Norman, but it's not going happen now.

Stay safe/keep well etc!
simon1228

Postby GavinYoung68 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:14 am

Hi Simon,

Sorry for late response, I forget to check the forum, I must do this more often.

I think they can be bent in situ but I think it is worth taking the cleat off and doing it in a vice after taking the fair lead out as you don't want to crack the fair lead mounting in the cleat body. To take the cleat off its just the 2 screws that run through the centre of cleat cam. Don.t forget to use a little sealant when you put the cleat back again.

If you haven't already done it, good luck.
Take care, stay safe
Gavin
GavinYoung68

Postby simon1228 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:17 am

Thanks for the response Gavin, as it turns out any delay has not mattered to me.

Usually, I bring my boat home for the winter, and store under cover, in the field near the house. Unfortunately, this year life/wok pre-virus got in the way, so I've not now seen my boat (other than on club's CCTV!) Since December!
Was in London immediately pre lock down, so was concentrating on getting home, rather than moving boat for project work :(

Your info v helpful. Wasn't looking forward to trying to unbolt/bolt cleats from under deck!
simon1228

Postby Steve1142 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:24 am

Hi Gavin
Is Aquarium sealant ok for this job? or should I really use proper Marine Sealant?
Cheers
Steve 1142
Steve1142

Postby SolidAir » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:51 pm

Aquarium sealant has to be free of mould inhibitors, but otherwise I think it's the same stuff as marine sealant. Should be fine. And you can keep fish in the hull if you like too.

Alex
SolidAir

Return to Tuning