New owner basic questions

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

New owner basic questions

Postby Riverwatcher » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:09 am

I am new to the Supernova class and have just bought a very nice Mk2e. I have been doing some basic measurements, as per the advice on the website, although there seems to be a fair amount of variation, depending on which bits you read. My mast is currently at 1100, although it would appear that many use 1120. Which is best.
I then tried measuring mast rake. With the shroud pins on the bottom hole, I can get a reasonable rig tension at 6050, as suggested. But when I try raking the mast to the suggested 5930 for medium winds, the shrouds are virtually slack, and at 5830, they are so loose that I would be worried about the heel jumping out of the step. Are my shrouds too long, am I missing something, or do people really sail with their shrouds completely slack in heavy weather?
Riverwatcher

Re: New owner basic questions

Postby Pete1177 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi

If you are a current class member then you can download my Tuning and Sailing Guide PDF from the technical section of the website. This is aimed at new Supernova owners in particular, and covers setting up the boat and sailing it.

There is some conflicting (older) information on the website and we have plans to overhaul the technical content. The generally accepted settings for mast rake is 6100mm (fully upright) to 5900mm (fully raked). If you set to 5850 then the mast could become unstepped, although you should set your safety leash to be tight on this rake (everything slack) so this can't happen.

6050mm is the 'default' mast rake, but you can go more upright (more rig tension) in light winds. The usual shroud length is 4000mm.

Hope this helps.

Pete
SN1177
Class Secretary
Pete1177

Postby Riverwatcher » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:25 pm

Pete,

Thanks for your reply. I had already studied your tuning guide, but I think it was the variations between that and other documents which was causing my confusion. I guess the only thing to do is to go sailing and see what works!

David
Riverwatcher

Postby Riverwatcher » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:54 am

Pete,

Another quick question - in your tuning guide there is a photo of your clever kicking strap loop around the base of the mast. From the photo, it isn’t clear whether the loop goes round the mast once or twice (you can just see another bit of blue rope at the top of the photo, but it could easily be something else altogether.)

Incidentally, I have measured my shrouds and they are 4010mm, which would explain why I am having to use the bottom hole on the chain plates.

David
Riverwatcher

Postby Pete1177 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:34 pm

David

Your shroud length is correct and within tolerance. You need to check that the correct vernier shroud adjusters have been used to allow you to get 'half hole' adjustment (e.g. 64mm Allen A4272). I have seen new boats out of Hartleys with the incorrect adjusters fitted (sometimes these have been put on the lowers).

The kicker attachment is made using a length of dyneema with an eye splice for the kicker hook. The dyneema is tied passing around the mast each side and being tied off to a deck eye (forged) riveted to the front of the mast. The deck eye prevents the dyneema from riding up the mast. It's important to use a forged deck eye as a pressed/formed one will distort over time with the kicker forces.

I don't use a twisted shackle any more to spread the load to the mast step. Instead, I have a small stainless steel ring through which the dyneema passes before wrapping around the mast. This is tied to the mast step bolt with another short length of dyneema. It functions the same and hasn't let me down in over a year of sailing. Simplest is best.

Hope that helps.

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby Riverwatcher » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:53 am

Brilliant - thank you.

David
Riverwatcher

Return to Tuning