Spreaders for the Fuller Figure!!

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Spreaders for the Fuller Figure!!

Postby Rodders » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi All,
I have just purchased Supernova S/N 1000, which I believe is possibly the 1st production Mk 2 from Tom Gibbons. It will remain at Combs S/C.
At the handover this week we had a proper measure up, and it did strike me that this boat has been running with the largest spreader angle possible which will restrict boom / sail angle.
In Pete`s excellent set up guide it mentions for sailors about 75kg Dim A should be about 120mm with B at 380mm.
If you are nearer 95Kg (and reducing slowly) are we looking for A to be flatter still if not flapping to a small degree.
Worth noting with current set up you cannot achieve the 6100 rake measurement (Upright) due to current shroud tension. we could only get to about a 6085 figure.
All advice appreciated.
Watching the Traveler series playing at Combs from the rescue rib in very challenging conditions, highlighted how important it is to sort out a good basic baseline setting before you start messing with things.
Best Rgs
Paul
Rodders

Re: Spreaders for the Fuller Figure!!

Postby Pete1177 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:14 pm

Paul

I hope you are enjoying your new boat. The setting of spreader angle is usually a 'set once and forget' affair. You haven't said whether you have a swinging spreader arrangement - if so then 'A' is determined by the spreader length B. As a heavier sailor you should be able to handle more sail power, so your spreaders could be longer. However, if you are new to the 'nova then you may not be able to handle too much power in gusts till you get more experienced with playing the mainsheet, so the spreaders need to be shorter to make the mast more bendy in the gusts.

I assume that at 6085mm and full tension that you have run out of adjustment on the shroud plates (you are unable to slacken off the shrouds any more). I have seen a lot of boats with the wrong Allen adjusters - you should have the ones with two sets of holes which give 'half step' adjustment (A4272). If you have no holes left then perhaps your shrouds are too short (although this is unusual). Check your mast step position (1100mm from front of mast to U bolt) as this has a major effect on shroud tension also and upwind speed (centre of effort of the rig).

I would set the spreaders to the standard setting (length) and go from there.

You are correct in thinking to start with a good basic setting before adjusting things too much.

Hope that helps

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby Rodders » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the Info,
To add to the picture, the spreaders are the standard pin (non swinging) type and at present appear to be set to make Dim A as large as possible (angled as far backwards as possible..)
The shroud plates are the correct double row Allen items with the pins located around half way down.
The Mast step position is 1100mm.
I will have to check the spreader length.
I know that the boat probably, was not performing at its best so am considering the following:

1.Set the spreader length and angle as per your guide. (Baseline figures 120mm / 380mm)
2. See where we are re 6100 dimension, If still short adjust shroud plates one hole at a time whilst achieving correct shroud tension.
3. Check lowers.
4. Re-check the three mast rake dimensions (6000, 6050, 6100) and mark as required.

My aim is a good safe starting setting whilst I get used to (EBGB) First test sail tomorrow PM..

Rgs

Paul
Rodders

Postby Pete1177 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:57 pm

Paul

It's going to be windy tomorrow! If your mast is set at 1100mm then that's fine. Loosen off the shrouds by one hole then you should get 6100mm. Mark this position on the foredeck. Obviously the shrouds should be the same on port and starboard sides. Then rake back to 6000 and mark this position on the foredeck. The two marks will be about 100 - 150mm apart (but this depends on your rake control setup). 6050 will be the midway setting (no need to measure) - mark this too. This will be your usual setting - don't sail at 6100 (fully upright) if it's windy as the rig will not be very compliant in the gusts.

One trick is to put two tape markers on the forestay control near the safety line - when they are in alignment then you know you have a 6050 setting. This is easier to read than marks on the foredeck as you don't get the parallax error of not sighting in line.

Remember to use the Cunningham upwind if you are overpowered to open the leech at the top - this will make the boat more stable upwind. Take the Cunningham off downwind. Also plenty of kicker to depower the sail with loose lowers (the sail will flatten). If you don't have adjustable lowers then set them loose on the shore.

If you are still overpowered upwind, then start to rake the rig back. With your weight you should be OK with Kicker, Cunningham and plenty of hiking to keep the boat flat, and easing the mainsheet as the gusts hit - ease, hike, trim.

Enjoy your test sail :D

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby Rodders » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks very much Pete,

Pleased to see that I`m on roughly the right track.

It might be a wet one... The Supernova is rather a step up from the RS Quba, that I`m normally bashing about in (rather more string to play with). Great PY for winding folk up (I have even won a sprint race on handicap :) ) but Sloooow in any wind under 10k. All in all a great training boat.

Best Rgs

Paul S/N 1000
Rodders

Postby Rodders » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi Pete,
Due to the conditions I decided to have a measure at things rather than sail, and also help my 13 year old son get going in the family Topper.
The mast is set at 1120mm (not 1100..)
Dim A was 170mm rather than 120mm figure recommended, Dim B was about 380mm.
I adjusted Dim A to 110mm.
Reset the shrouds and re-measured the mast rake figures. we can easily achieve 6100 now.
Considering swapping shroud for lowers adjusters as these have the twin holes.

We have over 12 Supernovas at Combs and all that I checked have the lowers with the twin hole adjusters,
but as you say sorting the correct mast tension is more important.
Still some tidying up to do but hope to be on the water shortly.
Rgs
Paul
Rodders

Postby Rodders » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi Pete,
Just to let you know, the test Sail / race happened last Sunday afternoon and went very well. (Light winds 8-10k occasional gust to 12k) Finished some 12-15 seconds behind another Supernova playing cat and mouse over 3 laps.
Delighted with SN 1000, some tiding up required and a proper clean up of hull and foils but she is showing great promise, Set mast to 6050 and left it there. looking forward to the adventure.
Best Rgs and thanks.
Paul
Rodders

Postby Rodders » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi Pete, Quick Update,
Supernova sailing getting better each day,
Frostbite, wind 6-8 G12, Rake set to 6100, few tweeks, moved blocks forward on the boom to reduce tiller extension mashing. Bridle too lose so blocks almost touch, tightened up both sides by 50mm, blocks well apart now. Tiller centering elastic fitted together with rudder pintle lock knot.

Missed first race getting S/N right, messed up a bit in second race with a duff start and having to back track to a missed buoy, but in 3rd race, good start and 1st S/N home following 2 Aeros. Well chuffed.
Just need a bit more wind now.

Best Rgs Paul
Rodders

Return to Tuning