Small sail (again!)

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Small sail (again!)

Postby DesR » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi everyone, I've just bought 1190 (Cliff Milliners old boat) -not got it yet, Hartleys are delivering next Saturday.
I'll be sailing it mostly at my local sailing club - Clywedog in mid Wales. It's a fantastic stretch of water visually but with some high hills right up to the waters edge the wind can be extremely fickle. It can be very gusty and blow in several directions all at once.
I was thinking about a small sail first to get used to the boat but then to extend the conditions that I can sail in and make it easier to get around a course in challenging conditions. Hartleys have a 5.7sqm Jeckells sail on their website but I see past discussions about a 6.8m short batten sail that didn't seem very well thought of.
Does anyone have experience of the 5.7m Jeckells sail. I guess it would be too small for my 80kg weight in light to medium conditions but it seems a god prospect in gusty f4 plus
DesR

Re: Small sail (again!)

Postby DesR » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:05 pm

Well...I've ordered one now so I'll be able to report in due course.
DesR

Postby DesR » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Got it/sailed it/liked it!
I'm guessing that the design of the small sail has changed sometime not too long ago because I've seen it described as a 6.8m part battened Hyde sail no more & probably less user friendly than the standard 8m. The one I've got here is a 5.7m (haven't measured it but 5.7 looks about right) fully battened Jeckells sail - reduced size copy of the standard sail.
I'm a complete novice on the Supernova so I can't give any reliable comparison or feedback but I enjoyed sailing with it. The wind was light, gusting between nothing and a good f3 & I found it both controllable & surprisingly powerful - got the dinghy going at a very satisfying turn of speed in the gusts.
I'm a novice on the Supernova like I said so don't take this as any kind of expert feedback, but I like it.
DesR

Postby Chris1333 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi Des

Welcome to the class and congratulations on your purchase of 1190. I'm glad you are enjoying it so far.

The small sail was fully redesigned for the 2017 national championships which resulted in the fully battened version. The part battened version was challenging in the gusts as the centre of effort wasn't right.

I hope that helps clarify and hope to see you at an event or two next year.

Chris

Chairman supernova class association
Chris1333

Return to Tuning