Mast Step bolts

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Mast Step bolts

Postby Kevin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:18 am

Does anyone know the size of the bolts running through the mast step?
I’m looking to improve the kicker attachment from that supplied on 1226, which uses a dynema line and steel loop around the bottom of the mast. If I run this under a bolt at the back of the mast step I’m hoping the kicker hooks on lower giving me more adjustment. The original arrangement tends to pull up the mast as kicker tension increases.

Thanks

Kevin
Kevin

Re: Mast Step bolts

Postby Tony1246 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:50 am

Hi Kevin. Most people use a loop of dyneema tied through spare bolt holes at the back of the mast to hold down the main loop where the kicker hook attaches. If you're coming to Paignton you'll see this better than I've described it and it takes only 2 minutes to fit.
Tony1246

Re: Mast Step bolts

Postby Kevin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks Tony,

I was thinking of copying the idea published on the technical guide, plus or minus a shackle to guide the kicker attachment line (not easily explained but the photo on the website makes it clear).
Could I use some skinny dynema instead of the bolt? Looping it through the rear mast step holes a couple of times. I have some kite line that would do the job. Then a small twisty shackle through that could be the guide?
Sounds like another evening down the dinghy park.

Kevin
Kevin

Return to Tuning