Tapered battens

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Tapered battens

Postby jonti » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:51 pm

I am a newcomer to the Super nova class and would like to buy a set of tapered battens, preferably the Dynaflex ones, where do I get a set? Is a small sail advised? I weigh 80 kgs and am 63 years old
jonti

Re: tapered battens

Postby Pete1177 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi Jonti,

Welcome to the Class. The Dynaflex battens are only available from myself as I import them from France and sell on at cost price to Class Members. Unfortunately until there is enough demand to order 10 or 20 sets in bulk then I have to hold off ordering any more. I know of 3 others who are interested in a set, but not enough to justify ordering a batch.

I have documented the development elsewhere on this forum and have written about the advantages of sailing with tapered battens. They also help revitalise an older sail that has lost its shape. With new sails at £800 each, tapered battens are a worthwhile investment.

A small sail is useful if you are struggling with the rig in F5 winds and above, but my small sail only gets used on very rare occasions. I would stay with the full sized sail and learn to depower it. You should have no problem at 80kgs weight (I am 76kg).

Regards
Pete Bingham
Class Secretary
Pete1177

Postby iainbarlow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:06 am

Hi Pete,

I'd be interested in a set, is there any chance I could try a set or a sail out?

Thanks,
Iain Barlow SN1090
iainbarlow

Postby ChrisB » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:01 pm

Hello Pete,

I'd like a set as well. Please add my name to the list for the next batch.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris 1068
ChrisB

Postby Rodders » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi Pete,
Please put me down for a set when they are available.
Best Rgs
Paul S/N 1000
Rodders

Re: Dynaflex tapered battens

Postby Pete1177 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:51 pm

The last batch from Dynaflex France is now being delivered to those who pre-ordered the battens from me at £78 per set. If you watched the AGM videos in September you will be aware of my intention not to order any more apart from one last batch.

The owner of Dynaflex in France (Henkjaap) is retiring so has sold the business and transferring it to a new owner in the Netherlands. I believe all tooling and moulds are being transferred and by November 2020, Dynaflex Netherlands will be in production.

However, with the impact of Brexit and import duty from January 1st, there will be an increase in price.

If you want a set of tapered battens now you can order them yourself direct from the Netherlands but you would have to pay import taxes and freight (around 30 Euros per set).

Pete Bingham
Class Secretary
SN1177
Pete1177

Return to Tuning