Nationals 2016 tips #1 Preparation

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Nationals 2016 tips #1 Preparation

Postby CliffMilliner » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi All
With our BIGEST nationals coming up I've had a request for info on what to expect and how to make the most of your chances to get a good result. So I'll do a series of winter posts on what to expect at the nats and how to sail the course (starts/beats/runs)to give you the best chance of being in line for one of the great prizes we have lined up.

First up Pre Regatta prep.
I know it's a long way off but a good result starts here!

1) Sign up, over 100 people have done this, so crack on if you haven't, you'll miss the biggest event EVER.

2) Book accommodation. Landudno has loads of good cheap B&B's all along the sea front, get one in close walking distance to the club as possible as the new slipway is now at the sailing club not by the pier like it used to be, and its a lot simpler to change/shower in your B&B than the club. Ask if you can park there for the day after checkout on Sunday, and they may even let you have a room to shower in, most will be very helpfull.
There is a camp site close by ,and we are trying to sort Campervans again. One thing I would say to campers is if it's a long wet and windy weekend then you can't beat a nice bed.

3) Arrival. If you can get there Thursday afternoon/everning its worth it just to make it less of a rush on Friday, also I'm running the beer and boat session again which went down well last year. If arriving Friday set of early to miss the traffic, you don't want to be rushing around. The boats are normally stored on the prom in front of the club. Bring a chain and lock to lock your boat/trailer to the railing on the prom if you feel the need.

4) Boat prep. Go over you boat ropes & fittings. Fill all those little dinks with gel coat, give it a wash to look all smart! Don't turn up with brand new stuff, make sure you have tried your new sail/ mainsheet before you go. Put a few spare shackles and bits of rope in your life jacket. Check your tiller joint, maybe take a spare tiller with you taped to the boom. If you don't have a tool kit and spares dont worry, everone else will have brought theirs.

5) Kit. It may be summer but take everything you have, last time at Landudno it was felt like full on winter on the Friday. Also having extra dry kit to put on on Sunday goes a long way to keep you happy. Suntan loation, we can always hope.

6) Food/drink. You can be on the water for 6hrs+. Figure out how to take enough food water for Sats 4 races, you can't have to much water. Have a look at sports drinks/gels the cyclist use. Make sure you have a good hatch bag and I've even got a bit of line attached to it to tie my spraytop to inside the hull so it doesnt take space in the bag. take extra food to leave in your boat cover to have straight when you get of the water as you will need it. Don't forget your beer money, to ply Paul Earnshaw with enough to get another rendition of Warriors!

7) Fitness. I've said it before, to get fast get fit. Even if it's a F2/3 all weekend it takes a lot of fitness to hang in there by the end of the 10 races over the weekend. Over the last few years all of the top guys are now put in the hard yards before the event to make sure they can keep with the pace. Get to the gym, run, cycle, or if that sounds hard work just read up on how to get fit for sailing here... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sailing-Fitness ... B004APA4HK

8) Practice. Get to as many supernova opens as you can, it will help you get used to format, starts, people, fleet racing etc. Nothing beats fleet racing to help you get faster. If you can get to the Exe open its well worth it as its our only other sea event, and it's a great venue. Sea sailing is differnt to ponds there are waves and the sea moves about at differnt times of the day!

9) SI's. When they come out, download and read them. Pay most attention to the course, start and finish. Many a good race has been ruined by finishing the wrong side of the mark.

10) Homework. Spend some time learning the tide times, rules, stratergy, windshifts, how your compas works etc. I'll follow up with posts on starting, beating, reaching, running, first/ second lap differences, finishing. Have a look at the following youtube vids to get a some ideas of what you need to think of when sailing on a big course with +100 boats.
http://youtu.be/6WzOrK3y9nI
http://youtu.be/Rm7yDJ-GI-Y

If you have a any other pre regatta tips that may help others please post them.
Cliff
CliffMilliner

Return to Tuning