boom fitting position for kicker

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

boom fitting position for kicker

Postby kev » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 am

Next question
My new boat came ready set up ,the problem I have is when the rig and sail are relaxed and the kicker is fully off there is no room for the boom to lift hardly which when I launch even in very light wind she just blows over is this normal or should I move the kicker boom bracket forward a bit to put some slack in the kicker? I can't leave the boat for a second to take the trolley out of the water without a trolley dolly to help..
kev

Re: boom fitting position for kicker

Postby Pete1177 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Kev

There are two possible reasons for the kicker being too tight. Either the kicker is too short (fixed at the wrong point), or the continuous control line is too tight (limiting the kicker from loosening off). I assume your boat has the original kicker from HB, so if it's not the control line then you will have to move the kicker boom take off closer to the mast. It should be about 570 - 600mm from the gooseneck. A bit closer is not really a problem though in practice.

While you are about it and have the take off in the correct position, drill a small pilot hole (4.5mm from memory) in the boom for the fixing bolt and screw the kicker take off into the boom using an A4 grade stainless 5mm metric (M5) bolt. This will stop the take off slipping - if it happens in a race situation you will be retiring :(

Pete
Secretary, Supernova Class Association (1068)
Pete1177

Re: boom fitting position for kicker

Postby kev » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:16 am

Thank you Pete thats a big help, as there are no novas in this part of the world,
Kev, Black Pearl (1146)
kev

Return to Tuning