Putting Sail Up

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Putting Sail Up

Postby JonRicke_old » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Does anyone have advice on where to pull the mainsail up to on an early Hartley built Mk1?

Sail # 590 - 7th Hartley built Supernova.

Mast - Superspar - I think?

Sail - Banks

If the sail is pulled up as high as possible, jammed right up to the mast top the lower slider under the Cunningham eye is clear of the lower mast slot. Engaging slider in lower mast slot requires quite some Cunningham tension. Best done before attaching outhaul.

Is this correct?

Monohulls I've sailed before, 470, had a black band on the mast as a guide for setting main & attaching Cunningham.

Seems to me best to cleat main halyard when lower slider is just fully engaged in lower mast slot.

Some confirmation, or alternative guidance will be appreciated.

Cheers, Jonathan
JonRicke_old

Postby CliffMilliner_old » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Jon,

You need to pull it right to the top as high as you can. What happens over time is the bolt rope in the sails shrink and make the luff shorter. There are 2 main things you can do to fix this.

Unpick the bolt rope stitching at the bottom of the sail and just let it go up the sail luff or after hoisting pull the Cunningham on as tight as possible to stretch the bolt rope back closer to its normal position, after a few mins you can then let it off again, and you should be ok.

Cliff
CliffMilliner_old

Return to Tuning