SOLD OUT - Dynaflex Tapered Battens for the Supernova

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

SOLD OUT - Dynaflex Tapered Battens for the Supernova

Postby Pete1177 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:07 pm

I am about to close the order book for some Version 2 tapered battens for the Supernova. Some of you will know that I have been using these for about 9 months and now have a set which work well. These are only available from myself, I make a small margin on them, and the price is £80 per set of 5 tapered battens (landed price UK including taxes). You can get away with one set if you swap between sails. This is the final order I'll be placing before I try and source a UK distributor - this will of course result in a higher future price as they will want to add their margin. The closing date for orders through me is June 18th.

The benefits are well documented elsewhere, but principally the full tapered set works very well in light winds as they are designed for a top sail camber of 12-13% with the draft nicely forward. I have found that in F0 - F2 winds they give more power at the top of the sail (where the wind is strongest). The use of a tighter rig allows the kicker to be used initially to increase camber (power) then to flatten the sail with more kicker. The stiffer leech (compared to normal battens) doesn't 'hook'. In stronger winds, the forward draft allows the leech to open nicely with Cunningham and the rig is more stable upwind, especially in gusty conditions.

I have posted feedback as received from Gavin Young and Cliff Milliner both of Cotswold SC below.

The next batch of 15 battensets will be delivered to me by the end of June, in time for handing out at the Nationals. I am only delivering these to the Nationals - if you want a set then sorry I cannot Courier as the costs and hassle of packaging are just too much. You could of course collect from Bowmoor Sailing Club at a mutually convenient date.

Please PM me if you are interested and I will email you with my bank details for advance payment. I already have pre-orders for 6 sets, but if you express your interest and pay by June 18th then I can increase the overall order and add you to the list to get a set.

Pete Bingham
SN1177

On 11/04/2018 22:09, Gavin Young wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>
> Here are my batten comments:
>
> I have been using the battens that you supplied, I have used all 5 as supplied and really like them.
>
> I have tied them in with a little tension and it gives a really nice sail shape and improved camber moving the centre of draft more forwards than the original battens.
>
> I agree with Cliff that it takes a little more wind on the run to push the top of the sail round to allow you to sail deep but as soon as you have a little pressure it's pretty much the same as the old battens.
>
> Upwind the boat feels like it is pulling more forwards, I have tightened up the bridle to allow me to pull the sail further in and am able to point as high if not higher but carry a little more speed (this is all marginal stuff though, it feels better but actual difference over the water is probably very small). With the old battens I always felt that you needed very loose lowers to bend the mast otherwise the boat just won't point close to the wind, with the tapered battens I have really tightened up the lowers so they are just tight or one hole setting away from tight (before hoisting the sail), with tighter lowers the rig feels powerful on the reaches but seems to still point well. I have also gradually tightened the rig so am not sailing with a loose rig until the wind gets up, the boat feels more responsive, in light winds with the rig tight the boat seems quicker as you are not wasting effort with the rig flapping around, with the rig tight every movement our adjustment of the mainsheet drives the boat.
>
> Overall I like the tapered battens as supplied, the overall sail shape looks right, the boat points well with speed, the rig feels powerful on the reach and off wind with a little pressure in the sail you can still sail low if not slightly by the lee. They do however seem to like less mast bend and a tighter rig.
>
> Again the positives are probably more feel than straight line speed around the course although I am sure there is a positive improvement on boat speed and feel I am sailing fast again.
>
> The battens do feel better but all the other basics still account for 95+% of your speed around the course, on there own the battens won't win you races but I think they do give a positive edge.
>
> In terms of changes I like them as supplied and would recommend using all 5 of them, just pay attention to the tension when you tie them in. The standard ones are a really good price and overall package, its always good to get the weight down but not sure at double the cost that it would be worth it or in the best interests of the class (this latter comment refers to the lightweight composite Fiberfoam battens from Austria at £150 per set - Pete).
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Cheers
>
> Gavin

Hi,

I have been using Matts (Contender) battens at opens, and at club racing I use the bottom 3 of yours taped to the existing white battens to give them a bit extra stiffness as I felt they were a bit too soft (the V2 battenset is stiffer- Pete).

Like you upwind I really like them, you can use a lot more kicker without any leach hooking, but they also open up well with the Cunningham. I know Gav has been sailing with them, and he’s been using a lot more kicker in light winds to flatten the entry and going a lot faster and higher than me upwind whilst I still try using my standard approach of no kicker when it’s light, so maybe this introduces some new go fast settings.

I can also feel the sail pulling me more forward with the drive, than before, which has to be a good thing.

I haven’t had a repeat of the downwind inversion I had at the inlands, but I don’t think I’ve tied them as tight in the pockets + the extra stiffness has helped. I still feel with both yours and Matt's that I can’t get by the lee as soon in the light winds as I used to but the trade off for the extra upwind benefit is worth it.

I do think now mast bend has more of an influence in depth of the sail and entry, so I’ve had to tighten my lowers for the first time ever! Just to reduce the mast bend with the extra kicker loading or the entry gets too flat and I lose power.

Cliff

Sent from my iPad
Pete1177

Re: FINAL CHANCE - Dynaflex Tapered Battens

Postby Pete1177 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:54 am

I have now ordered the tapered battensets which should be in the UK in time for the Nationals. I will have a handful of spare sets, so if anyone wants a set they can be collected at the National Championships on July 5th, cost £80. First come, first served. Sorry but I can't Courier (packaging is too tricky).
Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Re: SOLD OUT - Dynaflex Tapered Battens for the Supernova

Postby Pete1177 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:11 pm

15 sets were sold at the Nationals so this batch is now sold out. I can take pre-orders for the next 15 (a few people have expressed an interest since) - just email me with your request and I will add you to the list. These battens are not available directly from Dynaflex (they would be considerably more expensive to order on an individual basis as the shipping cost is about 50 Euros).
Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Return to Tuning