Mast Rake

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Mast Rake

Postby chris.w » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi all
Just bought my first Supernova 469 and sailed a couple of times very happy :D I am just not fully understanding the mast rake. Am i right in thinking that to rake the mast i release tension on the fore stay and ease on the kicker until the correct mark i want is indicated on the fore stay line. Also if 6050 mm is the 'normal' setting will the shrouds be taught with the mast upright?
Thank you in advance for help with this
chris.w

Re: Mast Rake

Postby Sunsetstrip » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:06 pm

I was hoping to see a reply on this as well. One of the mysteries of the Class I suppose since there has been no replies so far!¬
Sunsetstrip

Postby AlistairGlen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:44 pm

Hi Sunsetstrip,

No mystery; it's all set out by Cliff (and he should know) Milliner in 'Technical' ---> 'Go Faster Tips' on this very website. In very simple terms...with the mast (relatively - 6050) upright there should be a fair bit of tension in the shrouds (the Supernova is not a boat with a rig that requires 250lbs of tension as a base point!). As the wind increases and you need to depower, ease the forestay adjuster until you can keep the boat flat with the boom on the quarter most of the time. The kicker on the Supernova (at the moment!!) is totally independent of the rake adjustment and I would assume that you had more or less maxed-out the kicker and cunningham to flatten the main before you touched the rake.
AlistairGlen

Postby CliffMilliner » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi,

At 6050 I have a bit of tension, not enough to register on my gauge tho! The as the mast is raked back the tension will obviously be less, at <6000 rake the shouds can move a good few inches. If I raking the mast I will have my kicker on full as I'm overpowered.

Some chaps sail with a lot less tension, so loose at 6050. But this year we have seen Matt Biggs go for 300lb at his normal rake (don't know what he sails at).

Just goes to show that it's the sailor not the setup that makes the difference. Personally I think it's about setting the boat to what feels good for you.

Cliff
Still boatless :-(
CliffMilliner

Postby IainWilson170 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:03 pm

I am set up with rig tension so that at max rake in heavy wind the leeward shroud is JUST sagging. I think it is quite quick upwind and a bit slow down wind but it takes the dynamic load out if the rig which is kinder to the hull and mast. It equates to about 180lb with the mast fully upright which is not much,(and I never pull it that far forward anyway) and is much less stress on the hull than tacking in a blow with inches of slack in the system. might not suit everyone, I am 15 1/2 stone.
IainWilson170

Return to Tuning