Mast Ramp - Where to get or How to make?

Tuning the Supernova Dinghy

Mast Ramp - Where to get or How to make?

Postby happybassett » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi all,

Just taken over ownership of Mk1 SN465 - one owner from new, sailed for 4 years and garaged for 6.........boat is pristine. However just completing the inevitable bimbling to get it race fit (re-roped, new bungee cords, etc) The issue for me is that to fit the necessary parts to get the rig to rake I need to fit a mast ramp and the obvious question is where do I get one or is it a wee bit of self engineering??

Any help in this area would be appreciated - so looking forward to getting out on the water in my new toy - normally sail a feisty Merlin ;-)

Thanks in advance...appreciated!!

Stuart
happybassett

Re: Mast Ramp - Where to get or How to make?

Postby Pete1177 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Stuart

Welcome to the Supernova world with your new Giles-built boat. It is 20 years this July since the prototype boat sailed in West Oxfordshire, and, although newer boats have seen some technical advancement, there's no reason why your boat shouldn't provide hours of enjoyment, or be competitive should you choose to race.

You would be most welcome to join the Class Association for a nominal £15 per year. You can attend Class Events and our Nationals in June, where you will find a very friendly bunch of people always ready to help newcomers. Our next event is a Training Day at Bowmoor Sailing Club, in Gloucestershire on Friday April 10th. This is not too far from your home address and you would be most welcome (free to Class Association members but you can join on the day).

Back to your original question ... Hartley's Chandlery had mast ramps on back order from Allen since October (I think), but speaking to someone recently at Girton SC, they are difficult to source. You could speak to Paul Kelly at Hartley's Chandlery to see what the latest situation is.

Failing that, it is possible to do a DIY solution with a chopping board or scrap piece of Delrin. You need to ramp to a maximum thickness of 12mm at the forward end - this is set by the Class Rules. I would think you would need some workshop tools to make a mast ramp - perhaps others have specific experience, not having done it myself.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Happy Sailing!

Pete1068
Class Association Secretary
Pete1177

Postby happybassett » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Pete,

Well thank you for the very warm welcome..........quite encouraged that single handed one-design sailing is going to be among a great bunch of people. Sailing a Merlin is very much for the uber-committed and a bottomless wallet!!

Have spoken to Trent plastics (random plastics supplier) and they have confirmed that they can supply delrin pre-cut into a 12mm wedge of the same dimensions as the mast step for less than £15...possibly lower - this will need to be subsequently drilled as appropriate. The obvious question is does anybody else need a mast step?? (please form an orderly queue!!)

On the separate topic.......training day - are their any joining instructions......quite interested

Thanks again

Stuart
happybassett

Postby Pete1177 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Stuart

I have sent you details on our training day at Bowmoor by separate email.

Yes, I know of a couple of people in our Club who would want a mast ramp. I will contact them to get some interest. £15 sounds like a very good price. If you are able, it might be worth getting a few manufactured as I think you could sell them for £20.

Best regards

Pete1068
Pete1177

Postby stephenblair » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:56 pm

Hi Stuart,

I would also be interested in getting a mast ramp.

Regards,

Stephen
stephenblair

Postby happybassett » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:00 pm

All,

Will firm up prices and availability during the coming week - I should be able to organise the drilling also

Cheers

Stuart
happybassett

Postby Starstruck » Tue May 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Will firm up prices and availability during the coming week - I should be able to organise the drilling also

Cheers
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I'm New to the Supernova also sail 433. Have you been able to move forward with making the Mast Ramps? I am very interested in said item please.

Kind Regards
Chris
Starstruck

Postby MartinBazen » Fri May 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Stuart

We met at the CA training day before the open at Bowmoor, and both Dave McGarrell and I are interested (read in dire need of) your mast ramps! Has there been any progress?

Thanks
Martin
MartinBazen

Postby MartinBazen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Owners of Giles boats may be interested to know that Hartleys now have some mast ramps in stock. They are about £12 plus VAT.

Martin
MartinBazen

Postby KeithJohnson196 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Does anyone have any photos of this mast ramp in situ please??

Regards
KeithJohnson196

Return to Tuning