Dimensions of small sail

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Dimensions of small sail

Postby davejohnvr » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:02 pm

Not sure if anyone would know, but I have an old sail that I want to reduce to a smaller sail. Contact I have at a sail maker has asked if anyone knows the dimensions of the smaller sail, as in Luff, Leach and foot?
davejohnvr

Re: Dimensions of small sail

Postby SolidAir » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:36 pm

The area of the small sail is quoted as ~6.8sq.m, but I don't know the dimensions, sorry. You may have to contact Hartleys.
SolidAir

Postby Pete1177 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:45 pm

Dave

If you get a small sail made from a cut-down full sail, it won't comply with the Class Rules so you won't be able to use it competitively at Class events. It would be OK I think to use at Club level.

See my other post - I'm thinking of selling my small sail as part of my sail store clear out (new design sail with full length battens, class legal, with tapered battens). PM me if interested.

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby SolidAir » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:35 pm

You may use a cut-down full sail as a small sail at events, with appropriate permission. The Class Rules say:

Permitted alteration: For Championship events the Committee may approve the use of a modified Full sail cut down to a broadly similar specification to the then in force official Small sail (+/- 20mm on the leech and the foot compared to an official small sail). This power is exercised at the sole discretion of the Committee including what is deemed to be a similar specification of Small sail. This Rule requires the competitor to seek approval of the Committee prior to the event and to present the sail for measurement as part of the registration at the event where it is to be used prior to taking part in any racing. Note – to amend a Full sail to match the official Small sail plan requires amendment of both the foot and the leech. A cut down sail which only amends the foot of the sail will not be approved by the Committee for use at Championship events.

That said, a proper small sail as Pete suggests would probably be better and may even be cheaper!
SolidAir

Postby davejohnvr » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:24 pm

Thanks, all good advice. Just sold 590 and collecting 1050 next week, which has a small sail so all sorted. Looking fwd to having an epoxy boat
davejohnvr

Return to General