dual line spliced halyard woes

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

dual line spliced halyard woes

Postby DanaChurch » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:33 pm

Hello All,
I've just had Hartleys make up a new halyard from 3mm dyneema spliced with loops to a different pulling line.

NOW, it is very difficult getting the mainsail down.

Where the 2 lines loop and intersect, they are at right angles and effectively form a small knotted bulge.

As a consequence, this little "knot" does not fit into the slot in the mast wall. Even in no wind it is a real battle to force the lines through.

My thought is to drill a hole with a large diameter than the slot width (probably at the lower end of the slot), to allow this "knot" to pass through.

A little concerned with compromising the mast, so any other ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Dana Church
DanaChurch

Re: dual line spliced halyard woes

Postby Michael.A » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:11 pm

I have the same problem,maybe I should speak with Hartley's.
Michael.A

Re: dual line spliced halyard woes

Postby DanaChurch » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:31 pm

Yes do please speak with Hartleys to raise the awareness and find a better solution.

Despite opening up the sloth with files and wet sanding any burr form the edges I still have problems getting the intersecting loops through the slot, especially when trying to take the sail down.

NOW, the pull line has frayed very badly from being forced through the slot.

As a consequence, the fray bits have protruded form the mast luff track, so when I try to hoist the sail the head hits the protruding line fray, and I cannot hoist the sail.

I have hoisted the sail with this brand new dyneema halyard less than a dozen times and it is UNuseable now and £50 down the drain.
DanaChurch

Return to General