Beach Wheels any good?

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Beach Wheels any good?

Postby DuncLlew » Fri May 12, 2023 8:12 am

Has anybody who beach launches tried the beach wheels on their trolley? Harleys have some (https://www.hartleyboatschandlery.co.uk ... wheel.html). They look quite heavy so wondered if the extra weight is worth it (for a Mk2e). Sand at Arun YC seems to be very soft this season!
DuncLlew

Re: Beach Wheels any good?

Postby Kevin » Mon May 15, 2023 9:13 pm

I had a pair of those wheels fitted on my Dart 15 trolley. They were considerably better than the standard wheels but not as good as the CatTrax trolley I eventually bought.
Yes, they’ll be heavier but if your not giving yourself a hernia pulling the boat (with the skinny standard wheels) then that will make up for it. Couple of things to consider: the stub axle on the Supernova trolley may not be long enough to take the wider wheels plus the axle diameter will probably be bigger so you’ll need to purchase a pair of adapters to make them work. If you use a combi-trailer the wheels may be too-wide to slot onto the road base.
Can’t believe they’re almost £40 each. I’m sure I still have mine in the back of the garage, I can try and fit them on my trolley and let you know how I get on.
Kevin

Re: Beach Wheels any good?

Postby shipbiulder101 » Tue May 30, 2023 5:13 pm

As Kevin said they are good, me and my Dad (SN 1277) have fitted them to our Osprey trailer after trying the ultra skinny no air wheels and so far have found them good but they do not fit in the combi trolley so have to fit the skinny wheels for towing and they may not fit the Supernova trolley.
Paul Rankin
SN 1157
shipbiulder101

Return to General