Mast storage

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Mast storage

Postby JaneB » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi All.
It’s not clear from previous threads if people tend to leave masts up or down over winter?
If down - any tips on taking down please? - not done this yet. I do need to as have got a wind indicator to mount before spring and should know how to do it.
Also how best to store removed mast in boat park?
Thanks for your help.
JaneB

Re: Mast storage

Postby Jhobson » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:38 am

I take mine off as I store the hull in the garage. I store the mast outside alongside the garage hanging on bungies to keep it off the ground and minimise ans stress on the spreaders etc. I'm not sure about storing in a boat park as ours is closed over winter.

Taking the mast down is (IMO) best done as a two person job although I have done it alone. The potential for damage / accidents is, I think, much greater if you are trying to support the mast and undo stuff at the same time!

I detach the adjustable lowers but leave the shrouds attached. Note which slot the mast base is in so you know next year. (Take a photo?)

Then with my helper supporting the mast I undo and detach the forestay shackle. (It sometimes helps to have a pair of pliers handy here). Once this is removed and the forestay is free, we lower the mast carefully towards the back of the boat. Once it is flat you can detach the shrouds. I normally take a picture of which hole I was using for the shroud adjuster as I always forget next year.

To restep the mast I attach the shrouds and (with a helper), put the base into the mast slot (There is probably a more technical term for that) and then we raise it and attach the forestay. Reattach and adjust the lowers. Job done.

When your wind indicator gets bent (and it probably will) the easiest way to sort it is to put the boat in the water and semi-capsize it. The top of the mast is then readily accessible.

HTH

John
1084 - Coniston SC
Jhobson

Re: Mast storage

Postby Kevin » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:05 pm

Hi,
If you own a singlehander you should be able to fully rig and pack away your boat on your own if necessary.
Dropping the mast is easy enough especially if you have adjustable lowers.
Position boat stern facing wind direction.
Boom should be free of the mast, if you attach the kicker to the mast / mast step, or any other line, make sure everything is untied so the base of the mast is free to lift.
Free off the mast rake line to the point where the shrouds become slack, the lowers will stop the mast falling.
Remove the split ring and pin from the bottom of each shroud. I pop the free shrouds through the elastic loop used to store the main halyard while sailing.
With the forestay still attached, hold the mast with one hand then remove the lowers from the mast. You may have to lean the mast to the side of the lower you are trying to un-do to give some slack.
With the forestay taking the strain use both hands to lift the mast free of the bridge. You may have to bring the mast more vertical to do this.
I usually drop the vertical mast onto my foot (shoes on). Saves the mast foot getting sandy / muddy. Then lay it gently on boat / ground / trailer mast support. Undo the forestay, tidy up the rigging at the bottom of the mast. I use a mast-foot bag when trailing the boat.
I’m fortunate to have a big garage to store my Supernova during the winter, with the mast hanging in the rafters.
If the mast has been up all season remove the main halyard and soak it in a bucket of warm water and detergent.
Wash the mast with fresh water (I sail on the sea), lubricate all the moving bits with light machine oil / silicon.
Check the shrouds / forestay, any split wires especially at each end then replace with new.

Kevin
Kevin

Return to General