Cleat removal

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Cleat removal

Postby JaneB » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:42 am

Hi.
I need to take off a cleat to replace the fairlead … however one of the very long screws is threaded / hull is threaded… just comes 1/2 way out then sits and spins going nowhere.
Any tips?
I also have a stuck hatch (see last post lol). Can anyone confirm if there is a nut under the cleats? On the underside (or should the just unscrew?)
Any tips on how to remove? If I need to drill it out… and tips?
All the cleats are looking old and worn so this may be a ongoing job..
Thanks all for your help
JaneB

Re: Cleat removal

Postby Pete1177 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:03 pm

Hi Jane,

The cleats are held on by self tapping screws unless a previous owner has used some backing fixings. You need to remove the hatch and you will be able to reach behind the cleats to check by feeling. You may need to lie in the cockpit to do it and you need long arms (find someone with long arms if yours are short).

Try unscrewing using using a screwdriver or other tool to apply upwards leverage to the cleat while you unscrew the fixing. If there is a backing fixing then this might be enough to get the screw out.

Do not drill out the screws - you will end up making a much bigger job for yourself which will involve some fibreglass repair and gelcoat.

If you get the screws out, I found that these backing nuts work well and will secure the cleats with 5mm screws https://www.sailboats.co.uk/rwo-plastic-backer-nut-no-10-pack-of-10. You do need to locate the fixings onto the screws through the hatch though.

Keep us informed on how you get on.

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Return to General