Disaster Strikes

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Disaster Strikes

Postby Coops » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:20 pm

So sailing around our puddle in a bit of a drifter, spending far too much time on my knees and 'CRACK' my knee has gone straight through the floor of the cockpit. Now the boat is an old one (416) bought as a put me on and I'm wondering if it's worth trying to repair (certainly doesn't look like easy access to get under the floor area to strengthen and fibre glass on top is just going to look messy.

Has anyone else encountered this and what was your solution?

If it doesn't get repaired, there may be a few bits going up for sale very soon!!!
Coops

Re: Disaster Strikes

Postby craigderby » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:17 am

That doesn't sound good at all.
I'm afraid I can't help with any repair advice, but if you do end up stripping it then I'd be interested in the rudder blade, mine has broken and I'm having to borrow my daughter's for the Nationals.
craigderby

Postby Houghy » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:11 am

I can offer my method but I would seek professional advice! Here's how I fixed similar damage to my Laser.

1. Cut out a rectangle that includes the whole crack.
2. Cut a slightly larger, stiff plastic rectangle.
3. Attach 2 strings through the plastic rectangle, place inside the hole and pull tight.
4. Glass over the top of it (after cleaning with Acetone).
5. Gelcoat over the glass and put a piece of stiff clear plastic film over it and squish down to give a flattish, slightly proud finish to the gelcoat.
6. Give it a day to cure fully then remove the clear plastic film and sand back.
7. Sail.
Houghy

Postby Coops » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:12 pm

Haven't been in here for quite some time, but just as an update, Nigel at Paintcraft did a fantastic repair job - looks like new.
Coops

Return to General