Rudder Controls

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Rudder Controls

Postby JaneB » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:52 am

Morning.
The rudder on my Supernova has had its downhaul control line removed (and a pin hole drilled for securing). I am managing but would much rather not hang over the back of the boat to pin the rudder on launching and returning so looking alternatives. I have seen the info on the continuous control lines for rudder and probably will give this a go but have two questions:
1) Can anyone send images or information on the 'standard setup'?
2) How do you re attach the uphaul line into the hole on the rudder blade - any ideas?
Thanks for your help
Jane
JaneB

Re: Rudder Controls

Postby Pete1177 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi Jane,

I think the previous owner removed the rudder downhaul as it was probably uncleating on the tiller. This is a common problem as the camcleat wears so that the rudder keeps coming up, usually on an upwind leg which is very annoying.

I can see that the lock-pin solution isn't a good one. On my boat I have both uphaul and downhaul lines, both 2:1 with the downhaul cleated with a Spinlock. The uphaul is cleated with a metal clamcleat. I've used that arrangement for several years now with no problems. I like the security of the Spinlock locking the rudder down. I use a Spinlock also on the halyard for the same reason. They have proven to be very reliable.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of the arrangement for tying in the lines to the rudder.

I've tried the continuous line method but didn't get on with it. I found that the lack of 2:1 made uphauling and downhauling very difficult, especially with cold gloved hands in the winter months.

Pete
Class Secretary
SN1177
Pete1177

Re: Rudder Controls

Postby JaneB » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:37 am

Thanks
I have reverted back to the setup you mentioned and it’s working great thanks. Using the ‘safety cleat’ which should break in preference to rudder in impact which has a level of reassurance. Loving the boat..
Thanks
JaneB

Return to General