Insurance

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Insurance

Postby [email protected] » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:27 am

Who do people use for insurance ? I'm currently with GJW Direct and it's due next month, £140. Cheers Nick
[email protected]

Re: Insurance

Postby MarkR » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:48 pm

Nick,
Why not try class supporter craftinsure as mentioned on the home page!
https://www.craftinsure.com/
I ran my details through and got a much better quote than £140. Of course it depends on the value of your boat.
Mark
MarkR

Postby Pete1177 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:11 pm

My renewal quote for Noble was £132 for £6000 worth of cover (in December). I renewed with CraftInsure for £76.

Most of the Committee are insured with them and they have kindly agreed to sponsor the Traveller's this year.

Hope that helps.

Pete
Pete1177

Postby [email protected] » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:19 am

Thanks guys, craftinsure it is, good price too.
[email protected]

Postby Coops » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:48 am

Personally I'm inspired with Bishop Skinner, but primarily because they give me a discount for being an RYA instructor - £53 renewal this year.
Coops

Postby Jhobson » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:51 am

Looking at CraftInsure their terms state

"The boat will not be used for racing, unless a rowing scull."

So would this mean that club racing was not insured?
1084 - Coniston SC
Jhobson

Postby Pete1177 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi John,

"The boat will not be used for racing, unless a rowing scull." I think this applies to the 'SmallCraft Policy' - you need a 'Racing Dinghy Policy'.

I was insured by CraftInsure until recently under a racing dinghy policy which definitely covered club racing. I didn't renew with them as I had a less than good experience earlier this year with a claim when I hit a Phantom (my fault - I slightly mistimed a port to starboard tack on the start line and clipped the extreme port rear corner on the gunwhale). Although the damage seemed minor on the Phantom (and my Supernova was undamaged), it was a relatively new boat. The Phantom owner insisted that the boat was brought back 'as new' so the boat had to go back to the boat-builder to get the whole port deck stripped to replace the sycamore veneer along the port side (otherwise a localised repair to the veneer would not have grain-matched). There was some issue about the value of the claim which was a lot higher than the damage seemed to warrant, which I believe caused some delays.

*** UPDATE *** 19th December 2022. I was advised by CraftInsure that they paid the claim in total today - a total of 7 months from the incident to settle the claim. I have learnt that the process was held up by CraftInsure's insistence that another quote was provided for getting the boat to and from the boatbuilder in Norfolk as they thought £860 was excessive by about £160. Eventually other quotes were provided which turned out to be about double the price. Personally I don't have an issue with this as CraftInsure was just doing due diligence as any Insurer should, and it may have been the other Insurer's lack of communication and response time that caused the delays. I also learnt that the other party's insurers were going to take me to the Small Claims Court to recover costs, or a portion of, (about £4000) if CraftInsure didn't pay up. In that case, I would have defended by my own counterclaim against CraftInsure, but luckily it hasn't come to that.

In the end this left a sour taste. As my renewal was due earlier this month, I got a renewal price from GJW (£115 for £6000 cover, same as CraftInsure) - so I went with GJW.

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Return to General