Survival tactics

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Survival tactics

Postby Geoff587 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:15 pm

In yesterday's race we had a strong squall. Could I have handled it better?

We'd started the race in 20-25 knots but about half an hour into the race we were hit by thunder, lightning and 40+ knots of wind (according to the anemometer at the club). I was beating, but the mainsheet was pulled out of my hand and I quickly capsized. As did the rest of the fleet, except an RS200 which was already on the downwind leg - they disappeared off into the distance at high speed!

Having righted the boat, I put her on a beam reach with the sail against the shrouds but soon went over again when the boom end caught the water. Basically I couldn't keep the boat upright even without sheeting in, so just waited out the squall, then sorted myself out.

But thinking about it afterwards, I realise the main reason I was going over was the boom hitting the water. I had a lot of kicker and mast rake; would it have helped to let off some kicker and use less rake?

Not that I intend to repeat the experience!
Geoff587

Re: Survival tactics

Postby SolidAir » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:26 am

In absolute survival conditions - racing not possible, just staying upright - you're better off with very little kicker and a fairly upright mast. Set the boat on a close-ish reach, not a beam reach. A 90 degree position presents the narrowest hull shape (the beam) to the wind, whereas a closer reach presents a longer hull shape, so it's harder for the wind to turn you over. A flogging sail and even just the mast exert a lot of force! If you can keep some forward momentum on a close-ish reach it will help keep you upright and save your sail a little. Also, lift the centreboard to half way.

After that, you just have to hope the squall abates or that your clubhouse is on a lee shore :D .

Alex
SolidAir

Return to General