Supernova 446

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Supernova 446

Postby mattbather » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:16 pm

I re-commenced sailing in May after a 325 year break and have completed a couple of RYA courses at my club (Whitefriars).
I'd like to purchase a dinghy to take part in club handicap races, and the Supernova appears to tick all the boxes, but finding one within my budget has proved difficult so far.

Supernova 446 has recently been advertised for sale on FB Marketplace. The price is within my budget, but appears quite low compared to other boats of this era.
The seller is going to send me some more photos before I commit to a 300 mile round trip to view it (it's in Plymouth, I'm in Swindon). There are dents and knocks apparently, but no details yet.

Does anyone have any history or this boat?

What sort of things do I need to look out for?

Thanks for your help.
mattbather

Re: Supernova 446

Postby Pete1177 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:03 am

Matt

446 used to be owned by John Holland at Lilliput. If it's now based in Plymouth then it is likely to have had a lot of sea sailing. Obviously this is a much harsher environment on both rig and fittings, so it might be false economy to go for this boat (which may explain the low price). You could easily spend a few hundred pounds on re-rigging and repairs.

There are a few Mark1 boats for sale at Bowmoor (Lechlade) recently. 561, 534, 599 (around £1500) and 703 will be for sale soon (around £1650). As these are close to you in Swindon are these of interest and within your budget? Better to have a choice of boats to look at. We have a big fleet at Bowmoor (around 18 boats) and we do host regular training for new and more experienced supernova sailors - maybe you would consider joining Bowmoor - the membership year starts 1st October.

Pete
Class Secretary
Pete1177

Return to General