Trailing edge centreboard damage

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Trailing edge centreboard damage

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 pm

Hope you can see the attached photo, but I keep damaging the trailing edge of my centreboard in the same spot.

I’m guessing there’s some board movement in the centreboard slot and its catching the hull at the point it exits.

The centreboard slot is well packed and I’ve never had a problem with the board lifting or staying put.

Any suggestions how I can fix this would be appreciated, I’m getting fed up fixing the damage.

Thanks
Kevin 1226
Attachments
0E7E74D9-3963-429C-B9B9-9300CE14B365.jpeg
0E7E74D9-3963-429C-B9B9-9300CE14B365.jpeg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 10141 times
Kevin

Re: Trailing edge centreboard damage

Postby MattChelmarsh » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:54 pm

OK - that helps explain.

New boat, new board, a few weeks in and a chip appeared almost the same place as yours Kevin, just on that trailing edge.

I will have a mooch at the slot over the weekend.

What are you repairing with, Epoxy or Gelcoat?

Thanks
Matt
MattChelmarsh

Postby Kevin » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:42 pm

Hi Matt,

Think I’ve found the cause of the damage (after reading another post on this site).
The elastic bungee from the front of the centreboard, and tied around the mast is stretched quite tight, even when the board is fully down.
This results the the centreboard swivelling slightly in the centreboard case ie the top of the board to the front of the boat and the bottom of the board to the back. So the trailing edge of the board where it exits the hull is jamming against the rear of the centreboard case.
Result, damage to centreboard.
How to fix: 1.I’ve replaced the padding around the bottom of the centreboard case, Hartley’s sell the stuff. Easy to do but you need to turn the boat over and clean and remove all the old sticky stuff before applying the new padding.
2. Make the centreboard bungee longer ( but not so long that the board falls through the boat if you turn turtle ). I’ve had a guess on this but any suggestions welcome.
I’ve had no further damage to the centreboard once I’d done this.
I use Hartley’s colour matched gel / epoxy to fix the centreboard... sorry not sure what it is to be honest!! Should it be epoxy?

Kevin 1226.
Kevin

Postby MattChelmarsh » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:57 pm

Thanks Kevin.
Great solution for me to have a look at. Some gunmetal araldite epoxy is going to be my first attempt at the chip repair.
Will let you know what I discover.
M
MattChelmarsh

Return to General