Pro Grip

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Pro Grip

Postby kts » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:48 am

Hi,
Is it a wise decision to apply Pro Grip to the deck to protect it from the grit picked up when launching? I would love to say I can hang my boots over the side but I seem to have my hands full once in the boat! Does the product wear well and stay tidy if applied correctly or could it be a negative if I end up selling the boat in a year or two?
Thankyou
Karen
kts

Re: Pro Grip

Postby Pete1177 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Karen

I would think you would see benefit from applying pro-grip to the cockpit floor (if you can do it well then it shouldn't detract from the value of your boat should you wish to resell). It will help to protect the gelcoat from scratching and also help prevent your feet slipping during those tacks and gybes.

It might be worth giving Hartley's a call to see if they can do it for you with a non-slip compound, rather than a stick-on adhesive material (which won't wear well). You will find them to be very helpful for advice and guidance I am sure.

Pro-grip on the side decks is a different matter - I personally don't like it as I like to be able to slide in and out the boat easily when in gusty conditions.

Hope that helps.

Pete
SN1177
Pete1177

Postby kts » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Thankyou for your reply Pete. Confirms my thoughts, I'll see what Hartley have to offer.
Wishing you a HappyChristmas
Karen
kts

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:44 am

Hi all,

What is the best adhesive to stick down Pro-Grip onto your cockpit floor? I have some pro-grip and a Supernova, now I just need to bond the two together :) .

I have epoxy, thixofix or gorilla glue or I can get sikaflex or similar if needed.

Also, any advice on technique to use would be appriecated I am thinking rolling it down and smoothing out to try and avoid bubbles but not sure how that works with the non-stick on the cockpit floor.

Andy
Andy

Postby Andy » Mon May 16, 2022 1:56 pm

A short update, now I have had a dozen outings from drifter to breezy: I stuck this down with waterproof contact adhesive and used cans (paint, beans) to hold it down while the glue went off. It was a nice hot day when I did it and I spent a lot of time washing the deck and drying it thoroughly to make sure it was dust and dirt free before getting the glue out. I waited until it was hot as I thought that would give the best chance for the glue to be runny and pliable, thinking I would need to spend a while patting it down to spread it all out. In the end, as I had kept the pro-grip as flat as I could before tying to apply, it was quite a quick job, I did get a helping pair of hands at one point, as this made it easier to apply the glue and then 'peel down' small sections at a time, rather than trying to get the whole lot down in one.

The result? Well, probably obvious but it does provide great grip :-). It is not as spongy under the knees as I was hoping for, but certainly better than without it. Far less slipping about in waves (I sail at Felpham) and during or coming out of tacks/gybes.

A 1m section was fine, even on breezy days, I don't get far enough back that my feet are behind the pro-grip.
Andy

Return to General