Leaking "sealed" mast

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

Leaking "sealed" mast

Postby Sunset_Strip » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:02 pm

My main halyard shredded last Saturday and whilst replacing it I noticed copious quantitites of water seeping out of the "sealed" mast. Any suggestions as to where to look for the place where the ingress might have occurred would be very welcome. I have capsized a few times recently and wondered why the boat was so prone to inverting!
Sunset_Strip

Re: Leaking "sealed" mast

Postby JW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:53 pm

What you are experiencing is fairly common. The boat will invert if your not quick in getting round to the centreboard. The term 'Sealed' is rather misleading as water will get in.
John
JW

Postby CliffMilliner » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:24 pm

If you take the bottom fitting of the mast you could fill it with water to find the leak. If you can't fix it, maybe fill the mast with foam so it cant hold so much water.

Cliff
CliffMilliner

Postby [email protected] » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:48 pm

I have just bought a new Mk2 and she does invert quickly. On getting her upright I was astonished how much water sprayed out of the foot of the mast. It was hard to keep her upright. Is this normal? I found her hard to right when she went over again. It was a feisty day, but still
[email protected]

Postby SolidAir » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:25 am

Congrats on the new boat!

The mast isn't sealed, so it fills up in capsizes, especially if the boat turns turtle. It does drain fairly quickly once upright Loosening the kicker definitely helps with stability when righting the boat.

Alex
SolidAir

Return to General