thinking of changing to supernova

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

thinking of changing to supernova

Postby jethro » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:37 pm

currently sail an enterprise single-handed. thinking of changing to supernova.
1. want something relatively easy to sail (only been sailing for a year)
2. want something that you can recover from. enterprises once full of water are difficult to continue sailing.
3. would like a boat with an active class association-maybe attend some events.
4. something a bit roomier than a laser etc.

my main questions are
1. would this be a good match for what im looking for
2.how do they perform on rivers? (as this is where i mainly sail) or are they better suited to more open waters
jethro

Re: thinking of changing to supernova

Postby Pete1177 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi Jethro,

I think you have covered 4 excellent reasons why a Supernova would be a good choice:

1. The transition to a Supernova shouldn't be too difficult once you get used to the centre main sheet arrangement. Like you, I sailed Enterprises and Wayfarers single handed when I was much younger. It did take a month or two to get used to the 'nova, but it takes considerably longer to sail the boat really well (e.g racing). Going into irons seems to be the first issue, so tacking technique is really important initially.

2. The supernova is really easy to get righted after a capsize. It is self draining, and the sealed mast helps a lot. Initially, you will capsize a lot and become quite an expert in quick recovery. Dry capsizing is quite easily mastered. Recovery is much easier than say in an RS Aero - they tend to roll back on top of you being so light, so you have to get in over the transom. No such problems in a Supernova.

3. You couldn't choose a better Class Association. You will find everyone very eager to help. The free training days (if you are a Class Association members) are invaluable for newcomers. Supernova events are always well attended, with a variety of abilities. Even if you are at the back of the fleet, you will still be made to feel very welcome.

4. The laser cockpit is very cramped by comparison. The Supernova is a faster boat, except perhaps in very light airs.

You haven't said where you are based. Depending on where you are located, I am sure it would be possible for you to try out a supernova so you can get the feel of it. Although I personally don't sail on rivers, I don't see why it should be a particular problem. Generally you will have plenty of power available in the sail and rig to contend with current and tide.

I hope that helps.

Pete1068
Secretary, Supernova Class Association
Pete1177

Postby jethro » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:31 pm

thankyou for your reply. btw im based in south oxfordshire
jethro

Postby Pete1177 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi Jethro

You aren't too far from Bowmoor SC (Lechlade) and you would be most welcome to come and have a try in one of our Supernovas. There will be someone there this Saturday 28th from 10am as we are doing some training or any Sunday (club racing day). Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend. Just a thought.

Pete1068
Pete1177

Return to General