New Kid on the Block

Open forum for the Supernova Dinghy Class Association

New Kid on the Block

Postby Chris433 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi All,

I have been looking for an excuse to announce my arrival to the forum but. As I am New to the Supernova and sailing I have nothing to contribute so thought I would Introduce yourself and roll with that.

With a few years Windsurfing and a little Sailing on the Mediterranean during my Holidays with Mark Warner. This year I made the choice to concentrate my efforts with Sailing and Purchased my Supernova Sail Number 433 around 4 months ago. Sailing with Chase water Sailing Club. I must say I haven't looked back for one second. Joined the Club race on my second sail with far to many capsizes. I have read a lot of the technical items on the site. But what I would give for someone sitting on my shoulder shouting what is probably second nature to you seasoned sailors.

Thanks for listening. Once the tow bar is fitted I hope to meet a few of you in the near future.

Kind Regards
Chris 433
Chris433

Re: New Kid on the Block

Postby JW » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to our class. You have made an excellent choice in buying into the Supernova as you will find once you have a road trailer and can get to an event. The Supernova training days of which there are generally two a year are a great place to start and are free to CA members. You will find that Supernova sailors are very ready to help and offer advice. If you use facebook its also worth checking out the Associations fb page as all new news generally gets displayed on that in the first instance as is the nature of social media.
Hope to meet up with you at an event soon.

Cheers
John
JW

Postby Chris433 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi John, Thank you for the reply. I have the Road Trailer it was a case of putting the Cart Before the Horse....no Tow Bar. However that is due to be fitted soon so sky's the Limit. I'm looking forward to coming along to the Training Days. Having read most of the Technical posts I feel I would benefit from someone looking over the Nova and feedback on how to make her fly. There is a fleet of Burns, GP14 and Lasers at my local pond with one or two past and present National Champs of there fleet. My goal is to hold off these guys at the very least. (not that I am competitive) Has the Training days ended this year??

Hope to meet you soon.

Chris
Chris433

Postby Chris1333 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi Chris

Great choice, you won't regret going for the Supernova.

You would be most welcome to come to one of the Association events. There will be plenty of people around and the front runners are always very good at giving tips. Cliff Milliner (1079) in particular is a great person to speak to.

If you haven't already then please join the Association. We have prepared a number of newsletters this year, and if you ask the Class Secretary (Pete Bingham) he will be able to send these to you.

All the best getting on with 433 and see you soon.

Chris

Supernova Class Association Chairman (1100 - Usain Boat)
Chris1333

Postby Chris433 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply but many thanks for taking the time.

Yes Indeed I will be joining the Association in the next few days.

I am a little concerned the Age of the boat may be a little slower than the lighter Epoxy Mk11 coming out of Hartley's. But being new to the boat and more importantly new to sailing may be more of an issue. :?

Looking forward to joining you all on the next meeting.

Chris
Chris433

Postby Pete1177 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi Chris

I don't think you will find your boat much of a disadvantage against the newer Mk2 boats. We have several guys at Bowmoor sailing Mk1 Giles' boats and they are a good match for us. Unless you are at the top 20% of the fleet, it doesn't make much difference and you shouldn't let it get in the way of your enjoyment of the boat. Invest in a new sail, if you can, and it will help you to sail better.

I will send you some past newsletters once I get back from my holiday.

Hope to see you soon,

Pete1068
Secretary, Supernova Class Association
Pete1177

Postby Chris433 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your comments.

I did sail against the new Mark 2 Saturday, Sadly loosing out by a good 10 boat lengths, some of that was down to my lack of experience. I did notice the Stays on the new M2 were very floppy as set by Harleys ??

Hope you have a good Holiday. Due mine this weekend.

Kind Regards
Chris
Chris433

Return to General